Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tanning for newbs
Finally got my first deer and I'd like to do everything myself, at least the first time. Butchered him up (remarkably easy), have the head and plan to keep the skull, and currently fleshing the hide the hard way. I've been looking on youtube and keep hearing people say they've frozen the hide first. Anything to this?

What's the "easy" way to flesh it and remove the hair (haven't decided for certain whether to keep hair on or remove) using hand tools and as few chemicals as possible? I've seen someone use what looked like fireplace ash to help loosen the hair.
Thanks given by:
Old thread, sorry for just seeing this. Congrats on your fittest deer! I try to use everything I can from the animal too. Answering your question, fleshing the easy way is pressure washer with a "turbo" nozzle. My first deer I did the hard way, took days. The two this year took 1 hr each with the pressure washer. To remove hair, some just soak in water. Tried that but I have city water which unfortunately kills the bacteria you need to slip the hair. Bought a bag of lime from lowes and currently soaking in that. Not chemical free, but lime is cheap ($4 for 40lbs). Now I'm worried about screwing it up with too much lime. Time will tell
Thanks given by: frankp
Not sure how I missed it either. Good deal Frank
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Pressure washer is definitely the easiest way to flesh I'm almost done with a hair on coyote tan and it's looking great I'll post pictures when I'm done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reviving this because I still don't know...

That first hide went okay-ish but I let it soak too long when removing hair and it basically fell apart. Now I have three hides in my freezer (one from this past weekend) that I'd like to start tanning. Anyone with some experience willing to help me out? I found some good videos online and I'm willing to ruin a couple more hides to learn the process but if I can avoid that, it would be really nice.
Thanks given by:
When I shot my first deer i tried to tan too.
Skinned and fleshed it the hard way...9" chefs knife

After that I salted it up really good for a day or two and then i soaked it in anti freeze. Turned out OK and hair stayed on. But id still like to learn how to do it proper
Thanks given by:
I would recommend to watch a few YouTube videos on the tanning process. I’ve seen everything from brain tanning to using olive oil and mayonnaise to tan. Biggest mistake I think most new tanners make is that they don’t remove as much subcutaneous fat as they should. You should really use a draw knife to get down to the bare skin, and finish with a rotating fleshing knife.

Once the hide has been exposed to the smoke or other drying agent, make sure that you break the fibers apart to let the hide become supple.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]You do CrossFit? I do CrossFat. While you're doing Burpees, I am drinking Slurpees.
I currently have three salted hides in my freezer... going to pull one out on Sunday, I think, and thaw it out. I'll give it another shot and let you all know how it goes.
Thanks given by: