Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long can you leave a load in
I wouldn't be afraid. It'll either go off or not. But do like suggested and strap into a rest and string shoot it.
Thanks given by:
I don't plan on ever using it again. Can't even get the breach plug out of it. In a way, I just want to see how long it can sit and still go bank. I just worry that the powder will start to eat through the barrel. If I ever do shoot it, it will not be with my finger on the trigger. I will definitely use a string.
I love vegetarians, that's typically all I eat...  dancing smiley
Thanks given by:
All season as long as I'm confident the powder wasnt contaminated with moisture.
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
At least 3 or 4 times I've gone a year without firing until prepping for the next season usually early October. I've never started a season on a year old charge but I doubt it would be any trouble. It's not good on the barrel as the powder is corrosive to metal especially black powder and pyrodex. I left pyrodex and used clean shot for several years in late 90's till about 08 when I switched to triple 7. I found it left residue but no marring. Clean shot was probably the most accurate but not the cleanest burning powder I've used. Trip 7 seemed like about half pyrodex in terms of dirty barrel and cleaning but fired hot and consistent. Blackhorn so far has been my favorite. I left a load charged for a year my first year with it. I took plug out back instead of just firing off a $2 bullet to clean it. I found some surface marring where the powder set all year. I brass brushed barrel taking out 95% of the crusty stuff. I've never once used pellets but I guess it's habit. I started muzzleloading with a white mountain carbine and from that learned if the gun don't fire it's the owners fault. No need to buy powders or new gun or blame either. If the hole is clear and powder is dry it'll fire..I did get into a batch of weak no. 11 caps years ago but switched up and solved that. I even put a 209 conversion on my newer stainless rem 700 inline after using it a year. Carried it for 10 years killing lots of bucks. Wish I'd never sold it. I do like the cva now. Especially cleaning it. Light and well balanced.

Thanks given by:
(01-11-2017, 09:46 AM)BedfordBruisers Wrote: I don't plan on ever using it again. Can't even get the breach plug out of it. In a way, I just want to see how long it can sit and still go bank. I just worry that the powder will start to eat through the barrel. If I ever do shoot it, it will not be with my finger on the trigger. I will definitely use a string.

If your within 100mi, I'll do it!
What make and model?
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
Video that just in case.

Thanks given by:
I have left mine loaded for that long and never had a problem. I clean it and grease it good every time I shoot it and reload it for the next time. The problem is life has sometimes gotten in the way and that next shot did not come as soon as I had planned. There have been some times it has probably been loaded longer than 5 years and I have never had a misfire and never seen any damage to the barrel.
Thanks given by: