Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turkey on Richard Thompson WMA?
Hey guys,
Anyone have any luck with turkeys on the one Richard Thompson WMA? What about deer?  The VA wildlife website says there are deer and turkey there, but I'm not sure.  How about the crowds?   This is pretty close to DC. Does it get really crowded during the fall hunting seasons?

Thanks guys!
Thanks given by:
Never been there but I'm sure it gets pressured hard like all the rest of the wma. Just scout hard and get as far away from the parking area as you can. Good luck
Thanks given by:
Never Deer hunted it.. I did Turkey hunt it one spring.. got on three hard gobbling birds the first morning I went (which was the first week of May) they were on a ridge that backs up up to private... I setup in a bad spot.. had them all within 20 yds spitting and drumming, but never saw the first one and they eventually walked off.. I only hunted it one other day and never heard a peep.. but it was late in the spring at that point..
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
(03-21-2017, 01:14 PM)wvboy Wrote: Never Deer hunted it.. I did Turkey hunt it one spring.. got on three hard gobbling birds the first morning I went (which was the first week of May) they were on a ridge that backs up up to private... I setup in a bad spot.. had them all within 20 yds spitting and drumming, but never saw the first one and they eventually walked off.. I only hunted it one other day and never heard a peep.. but it was late in the spring at that point..

Thanks, awesome advice! Any good tips on getting into the WMA?  Good access points?  I love Sky Meadows state park. I was thinking about camping there overnight and then hiking in some how (the Appalachian trail runs right through it).
Thanks given by:
My dad and I used to fish Thompson Lake a bit. Heard birds gobbling a few times while fishing. That was back in the 80's though. Thompson Lake parking area is fairly convenient. Used to be an old road leading away from the North East corner of the lake. Might be a good way to move quietly through the woods (if it isn't grown over). Not sure how good a 30 year old scouting report is :-). Nowadays, every time I start up that mountain I somehow end up sitting in an Adirondack chair on the lawn of Naked Mountain Winery.
Thanks given by:
I went in from that first parking lot on the road from I66 exit at Markham .. walked about a mile back and when it started getting real steep is where I started hearing birds..

I meant 66 not 81..ooppss
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
Anyone see or hunt Dove at Thompson WMA???
Thanks given by: