Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois Deer Hunt
So from my time in living in St. Louis I made some good friends I keep in touch with.  One of them I have hunted Illinois with a few times on his lease.  That being said he invited me out for this coming season to hunt his lease the same guys I hunted with in the past.  I plan on doing a week out there... and am freaking STOOOOKED!  Love hunting primo hunting land with good friends.  I hunted this piece at least 8-10 times with him in the past, and am very familiar with it and actually took a 152" off it a few years back.

I wanted to get a heads up/advice on traveling across state lines with deer meat as well as a deer head... HOPEFULLY!  First time with this traveling 12 + hours, any tips/tricks/advice you out of state hunters have I would appreciate it?

Thanks given by:
Pretty sure you cant bring back any head or hide across state lines from a CWD area if it isnt tanned/taxidermied first, not positive though might want to check the DGIF regs.
Thanks given by:
(05-22-2017, 07:05 PM)VaSandman Wrote: Pretty sure you cant bring back any head or hide across state lines from a CWD area if it isnt tanned/taxidermied first, not positive though might want to check the DGIF regs.

here's the info: https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/d...out-of-va/
Thanks given by:
Sho nuff! I was thinking just this bud had not checked the regs. Thanks for posting the link.. So obviously no head/cape but boned out meat is fine. Good to know.

Thanks given by:
(05-25-2017, 07:05 AM)Bucksnort32 Wrote: Sho nuff! I was thinking just this bud had not checked the regs. Thanks for posting the link..  So obviously no head/cape but boned out meat is fine. Good to know.

Cape and Skull plate are fine.  And the meat actually does not need to be completely boned.  

Essentially the only things that can't come back are brain and spinal column.  We traveled from from Montana with deer and elk in an insulated trailer, front and rear quarters were still on the bones, boned out the backstraps, neck, rib etc, capped the antlers for mounting and brought the hides for tanning.  The only dilemma was my brother wanted to do a euro mount so he spent a few hours removing all of the brain from the skull.
Thanks given by: