Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shooting the 308
Reading a few new threads about mzldrs and shooting in general got me thinking that it's been at least 2 years since I've shot my .308.
I've got to start working up to 300yds for next years Antelope trip.
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
So, I've got to look in the safe when I get home but I have a nice variety of custom loaded .308 rounds.
150gr Nosler Balistic tips
165gr Nosler Accubond
180gr Nosler Accubond and
200gr Nosler Accubond

All of them are similar (not equal but similar) in ballistics with a zero @ 200yds, 2" high at 100, approx. 8" low @ 300 and 20ish" low @ 400.
So given enough time, anyone could be proficient enough with any of these rounds to be confident with taking a shot.
Question now is... stay with a medium to heavy bullet or go the complete opposite way and go lighter?
125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. 200yd zero, 1" high @ 100, 5.8" high @ 300, 17" high @ 400.

Thin skinned animal... Antelope
Long range possible
Open plains area = wind possible...

Opinions?
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
Yea this is a tricky... and i'll be honest I am not the guy with the answer for this one being I have no plains/antelope experience. Maybe get onto a midwest forum and get some feelers? So many ways of getting it done, you will figure out what you want though.

With a .308 a light bullet gets you farther shots and on an antelope will get the job done, that I would put money on. But with the wind, will throw it around more that a heavier bullet, and that will require some practice to be proficient with that.

I can say you will want to be able to shoot as far as possible... so if you can get some practice at 300-500 yards do that with whatever round you choose.

Sounds like a fun hunt! Don't know if you have seen it. But people are hunting antelope like turkeys, using cardboard cut outs and doing some up close stalking. That just cracks me up, if you hunting public... that is ill advised obviously ha.

Thanks given by: