Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY - Leather work
Any of you good people do any leather work? I just recently started doing some when I got a new axe and wanted to keep it protected for cheap. Nothing I've made is pretty/decorative yet, but two axe sheaths, and two rifle slings later, that $15 piece of belly leather (I know, it's not good leather) has save me a bunch of moolah. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you who do/have done leather work have some pointers on slowly and frugally building up my collection of leather tools, and general advice as well as suggested reading?[Image: aab4509bd51efaa5fa5028ae4d79303a.jpg][Image: a59d53e84b4fcc10762253bbe19a60de.jpg][Image: fff6a6622a8225dca56f92e9374ecd03.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Shoot I like it Rock!! I have not and wouldn't know how. What made you go with the plastic buckle over a snap button?
Thanks given by:
Hey, endless, thanks! I do everything as inexpensively as possible! I had the plastic buckle from when I made some paracord stuff a while back, so I figured, what the heck. I didn't like the designs for 3.5 lb axe sheaths because they don't cover the whole head, so that one is a mixture of designs. But yeah, my wife thinks I have too much hunting/outdoors stuff, so if I can make it rather than buy it, I usually get a pass! Made these 4 things for about $16! I'd like to learn how to make it all look a little more decorative. But it gets the job done. Adding a piece of padding to the shoulder end of the sling on my 25-06 (black rifle above) now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I spoke to a leather guy who does leather work who said you can talk to him on leather if want.. I can send you his Facebook page.
Thanks given by:
Good work!
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
Thanks Alex! Endless I'd appreciate that link up. Would you please pm me his info?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I think I message you on Facebook??
Thanks given by:
Good work there man!! Your stitching looks good and finish looks good. I heat up the leather apply a canuba creme leather dressing buff it out then I use Montana Pitch Blend conditioner. Its a little expensive but works really well and protects the leather well. Some of the finishing products out there are acrylic and can keep the leather from breathing and cause long term issues. I am by no means an leather expert, I hate making sheathes but its part of the knife game!
G
Thanks given by:
Looks awesome ....... I'm looking for some one to make me a leather holster for my Beretta .22 pistol -
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2017, 10:10 AM)Gravy Wrote: Good work there man!!  Your stitching looks good and finish looks good.  I heat up the leather apply a canuba creme leather dressing buff it out then I use Montana Pitch Blend conditioner.  Its a little expensive but works really well and protects the leather well.  Some of the finishing products out there are acrylic and can keep the leather from breathing and cause long term issues.  I am by no means an leather expert, I hate making sheathes but its part of the knife game!
G

Your sheath is getting some attention on my end!!
Thanks given by: