Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A good call for beginners.
Looks good. On a pond that small if they are coming and going in by themselves I'd say don't bother with the dekes and def. no calling to start. Keep it simple. Just scout where they like to hang out/land and pass shoot em or wait for them to come in natural. Chances are better than 50/50 and dekes you throw out are just going to spook the majority of birds (same goes for calling) when just starting out.

When you do use dekes make sure it's either a windy day or you have some motion in the set. Jerk strings are great but distracting/confusing for a new hunter. I like pulsators over mojos for electric motion. A good cheap way though is a weasel ball. Google weasel ball decoy and you'll get the picture. Again though... I'd start out with nothing if I were you and then after hunting a few times and seeing what the birds are doing maybe work in a half dozen dekes and then after hunting that a few times maybe consider bringing a call. Have fun. You'll kill a few there for sure if they are already hanging around. Don't evening hunt it though till the end of the split.
Thanks given by:
I picked up a quiver magnet for like $15 and a quiver butt for $49 to add motion to my spread. They both work great for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2017, 01:49 PM)bluefishnc Wrote: Looks good. On a pond that small if they are coming and going in by themselves I'd say don't bother with the dekes and def. no calling to start. Keep it simple. Just scout where they like to hang out/land and pass shoot em or wait for them to come in natural. Chances are better than 50/50 and dekes you throw out are just going to spook the majority of birds (same goes for calling) when just starting out.

What he said.....Maybe one 2 or three decoys at most and no calling. In a pond that small the birds that are using it already know where they are heading. If there is bigger water close by, and you can see birds off in a distance, then maybe call, otherwise just let the birds come.......you will probably only get a couple hunt in before the birds get educated and find someplace else.
Thanks given by:
A quick search on google earth ahowed a pond about a mile away that 3x as big as the one on our hunting property. That also happens to be the general direction most of the birds come from in the evening. Guess i have some door knocking to do. I saw three ducks fly by yesterday evening at last light that ive never seen before about the size of a wood duck....maybe a little bigger. They looked almost black but had a very distinct white patch around the eyes. I could be off on the body color but the white patch stood out. They also had very pronounced foreheads lol...i know that sounds weird but thats the best way i can describe them. Anyone got a guess?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
A blue wing teal drake will have a white eye patch but so do a few others that I can think of.
Thanks given by:
If you were able to pick up the white patch in flight I'd go with hooded merganser. They are pretty common right now on small ponds/lakes.
Thanks given by:
Good call blue. They were hooded mergansers...that head is unmistakable. I also like the idea of the weasel ball for decoy motion. I have a couple of them around somewhere in the garage so im going to try that out once i can find them.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I agree with the advice on getting an inexpensive call and learn how to call then stepping up to a nicer call. I started with a primos call called like dirty hen or something. I killed ducks over it and I still keep it on my lanyard today to remind me of where I started.  

JMHO
Thanks given by: