Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shot shell legality????
So, I know that you must use non-toxic shot and nothing larger than T for Migratory bird hunting.
And, I've searched the Va regs and cant find any mention of it, but is there anything that says you cant have shot larger than T in your possession while hunting?
I'm not looking for the implied intent... but a specific reg...

thanks
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2018, 12:50 PM)Alex G. Wrote: So, I know that you must use non-toxic shot and nothing larger than T for Migratory bird hunting.
And, I've searched the Va regs and cant find any mention of it, but is there anything that says you cant have shot larger than T in your possession while hunting?
I'm not looking for the implied intent... but a specific reg...

thanks

Not the actual regulation but from the DGIF hunting regs it specifically says:

"Non-toxic Shot
Non-toxic shot approved by the Department [steel, bismuth-tin, Iron-tungsten, Iron-tungsten-nickel (HEVISHOT), copper-clad iron, tungsten-bronze, tungsten-iron-copper-nickel, tungsten matrix, tungsten-polymer, tungstentin-iron, tungsten-tin-bismuth, tungsten-tiniron-nickel, and tungsten-iron-polymer] is required for hunting all waterfowl, mergansers, coots, moorhens, gallinules, snipe, and rails. Lead shot is not allowed for hunting these species and cannot be in possession in the field while hunting these species. Shot size should be no larger than “T”."

I'd guess the feds have something similar that trumps the state regs but haven't looked it up. Bummer because I'd have some 00 with me on most trips otherwise to jump a deer or two on the way in and out. Had two does less than 50 yds from me the other day that would have capped off a nice morning.
Thanks given by:
I don't see why it wouldn't be ok as long as it isn't lead
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2018, 01:44 PM)skimerhorn Wrote: I don't see why it wouldn't be ok as long as it isn't lead

I was thinking the same since the explanation online doesn't specifically say you can't possess shot size larger than T. It says you cannot possess lead shot in the field but the next sentence seems to address hunting with shot size larger than T separately saying "shot size should not be larger than T." If this were a contract I was reading I would take the word "should" to imply what is desirable vs. "shall" which is what is legally binding. Above said, I think the intent was probably to say you cannot possess non toxic shot AND it must be no larger than T in the field but that's not what it reads to my eyes. You might be able to win that in a court case but my guess is you'd lose the fight with the CPO at the ramp and end up with a ticket you'd have to get a lawyer to get out of. I'm not risking it. Your local CPO should be able to clear it up for sure though. Call the Richmond office and they'll have him call you direct.

Why are you asking anyway Alex? Ostrich? :-)
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2018, 03:30 PM)bluefishnc Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 01:44 PM)skimerhorn Wrote: I don't see why it wouldn't be ok as long as it isn't lead

I was thinking the same since the explanation online doesn't specifically say you can't possess shot size larger than T.  It says you cannot possess lead shot in the field but the next sentence seems to address hunting with shot size larger than T separately saying "shot size should not be larger than T."  If this were a contract I was reading I would take the word "should" to imply what is desirable vs. "shall" which is what is legally binding.  Above said, I think the intent was probably to say you cannot possess non toxic shot AND it must be no larger than T in the field but that's not what it reads to my eyes.  You might be able to win that in a court case but my guess is you'd lose the fight with the CPO at the ramp and end up with a ticket you'd have to get a lawyer to get out of.  I'm risking it.  Your local CPO should be able to clear it up for sure though.  Call the Richmond office and they'll have him call you direct.

Why are you asking anyway Alex?  Ostrich? :-)

Curiosity mostly... remember seeing a instance on one of those hunting CPO shows that a guy got a ticket for having a buckshot shell while small game hunting so they cited him. But also a recent incident at the club that a member brought guests to duck hunt and on the way in they jumped a deer and shot it... well they where there duck hunting and not deer hunting so there wasnt a guest fee paid... sounds petty... but
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by: