Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Season woodcock?
Anyone had any experience hunting woodcock in winter? A friend and I are hoping to get after them in the last couple weeks of the season, but I'm wondering if this extreme cold has made the ground too hard for the birds to feed. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks given by:
I'd def. say go. Last year it was really good right after a big snow storm late season. I have a buddy who has an upland dog and last year right after we had about a foot of snow he went out to a WMA and slayed em. He said he got his limit and then let his dog work for another hour or two and he pointed over 80 birds. I'd expect the same this year. I was seeing them in the swamp a week or so ago. Gotta have a dog though to make it worthwhile. Those suckers hold tight.
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2018, 09:11 AM)bluefishnc Wrote: I'd def. say go.  Last year it was really good right after a big snow storm late season.  I have a buddy who has an upland dog and last year right after we had about a foot of snow he went out to a WMA and slayed em.  He said he got his limit and then let his dog work for another hour or two and he pointed over 80 birds.  I'd expect the same this year.  I was seeing them in the swamp a week or so ago.  Gotta have a dog though to make it worthwhile.  Those suckers hold tight.

Thanks for the advice. One thing after another conspired against us and we weren't able to make it out until the last day of the season. My buddy has a dog so we did manage to flush up a couple. Came home with an empty game bag, but it was a good time all the same and a learning experience for me.
Thanks given by: