Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tick tock... almost here
Best day (in general) wood duck day of the VA hunting season is almost upon us. Those woodies should be buzzing thick and make for some fine shooting come about 6:38 am or so next Friday. I've heard some good reports they are here in decent numbers and will be scouting a bit myself this weekend. Good news too is looks like we are going to dry out a bit too. Should save me from flooding my waders the first few trips out finding where all the new holes are. Will be curious to see how the flooding this year changed things.
Thanks given by:
Heading out in the morning to scout myself
Thanks given by:
I cant wait! I'm actually off the first day of the season. A few woodies are using the hole ill be hunting. Ive got all my ducks in a row this year lol. Got decoys, a wood duck call and a mojo. Three years ago i told my wife that i wouldnt get into the money pit that is duck hunting and now I'm hooked. This year I told her she could have my deer stands if I can go out and break ice on the worst days and call ducks lol. Ive been out scouting a few days this year and havent seen any teal....is this normal for southeast virginia or is this an odd year? I was looking forward to getting on some teal but there doesn't appear to be any around my area.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(09-29-2018, 05:50 PM)WildBill Wrote: I cant wait! I'm actually off the first day of the season. A few woodies are using the hole ill be hunting. Ive got all my ducks in a row this year lol. Got decoys, a wood duck call and a mojo. Three years ago i told my wife that i wouldnt get into the money pit that is duck hunting and now I'm hooked. This year I told her she could have my deer stands if I can go out and break ice on the worst days and call ducks lol. Ive been out scouting a few days this year and havent seen any teal....is this normal for southeast virginia or is this an odd year? I was looking forward to getting on some teal but there doesn't appear to be any around my area.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Teal are here today and gone tomorrow everywhere, except two places I have been. I used to shoot blue wings and green wings every day I hunted as a young guy in Florida and I have seen them in Texas throughout the season until about March. They may have been in your area for a couple days, maybe less before they moved on. They are a fair weather bird and are flying fast on the way to South Florida.  You want to shoot a blue wing drake in hisfull breeding plummage...go to the STA's in Florida.  Watch out for the gators.
Thanks given by:
Got out and walked about 2 miles of swamp creek bottom yesterday. A little disappointing. Only jumped a pair of woodies. I'm sure many others were hiding and just swimming away though but I had hoped to see a few groups or at least one group of 6 to 8 loafers. I've learned though that what you see in mid day can be VERY different than what you see just before sunrise with woodies. Still hopeful for a good start but tempered. Good news was swamp level was average. All the channels I walked were at reasonable depth though the water was hustling. Mosquitoes weren't terrible either.

Did you see much Skimerhorn?
Thanks given by:
Went out and saw a good amount of woodies plus heard even more. Was out at light and stayed about 20 min. Hope they're still there on sat, might just be able to get a few
Thanks given by:
Glad to hear it Skimerhorn. I wasn't down by the creek/swamp till after 10 am so for sure missed on hearing seeing a bunch. Was just expecting to jump a few more in the areas I was scouting/walking based on prior history. Spots I was walking are normally loaded up mid day in the Nov split but never walked em mid day in Oct. Good shooting to you on Friday. Weather looks to be overcast and dead stick.
Thanks given by: