Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New dekes
Bought a half dozen higdon foam filled wood duck dekes this year and finally got around to rigging them up. I found a mossy oak texas rigging kit on amazon for 15 bucks and it worked great. The kit had the mono line, snap swivels and crimps. I had the weights laying around in my catfishing box. Can't wait to put it all to good use Friday morning![Image: f78b87e85d23aa91e4cf2f45458ab4f3.jpg]

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Looking good.

Good luck this weekend
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Thanks thummy. Same to you.

Thanks given by:
I got some old beat up wood duck decoys from a buddy that past away. I was down at his mother's house helping her and his sister organize some stuff and they wanted me to sell the decoys along with some other stuff. I decided I was buying the decoys. I plan to put them out Saturday and see what happens.

Thanks given by:
I caught these on sale at field and stream. After going on my last scouting trip this morning im thinking I may have made a mistake buying the foam filled decoys. Once i got this half dozen rigged up last night i realized just how heavy they are. These plus a pack and a gun with 70 degree temps and waders on is gonna make for an interesting hike about half a mile to the place I plan to hunt.

Thanks given by:
Hi Bill, Just a tip for you on your next rigging job. For hike in hunting like you will be doing I do not like using a Texas style rig or pyramid weights on fishing swivels. You will make a mess of your lines, get caught up in your decoy bag, etc... etc... Trying to untangle a birds nest in 20 degrees in the swamp sucks. Instead go with some j hook weights on stretch cord. It wraps clean around the base of your dekes and allows you to just reach in the bag and chuck them where you want and when done you can wrap up clean and no exposed weights to ding and scratch your dekes.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Decoy-Rigs...lp_pl_dp_2

My two cents on the subject. I did the same thing as you did many years ago but quickly made the switch to J anchors. Texas rigs have a place but not in the swamp or when doing solo hike in hunting in my experience.
Thanks given by:
Good points. The reason I texas rigged them is so they wouldnt get tangled up so bad. I was just using twine with the weight s at the bottom but thats a rats nest waiting to happen and its zero fun wrapping the line on the decoys in 35 degree water. Ill see what happens tomorrow. Ill be out nice and early since i really dont know what to expect. This will be my first time hunting public land.

Thanks given by:
I rigged mine up with the J weights. I have extra line on mine but have it locked off for shallower water. If I go some place that requires more line they are easy to adjust. I think I did 8 or 10 feet of decoy line on each. I like just wrapping them up and hooking the weights on.

I bought long neoprene gloves for picking up decoys when it is really cold. Keep my hands dry and warm. I just put them on for wrapping decoys and take them off as soon as o am done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks given by:
If I'm carrying 6 decoys I don't use a decoy bag. I don't use a decoy bag for anything less than a dozen and even then I don't like using one and only grudgingly do so when I have goose floaters in the mix. I knot my decoy lines as close to the decoys as I can get, sling them over my shoulder and use a carabiner to clip the lines back on to themselves. Been Texas rigging my decoys tr well over a decade and will never use anything else. Ease of placement and pick up and ease of storing fire me are the sellers. Even when they are in a bag, i simply have all the loops together on a carabiner, knotted as close to the decoys as I can get, with the carabiner clipped to either a carrying handle or strap n the outside.  Unclip, pull them out of the bag, unknot and start throwing decoys. I have set 7 dozen decoys in about 10 minutes by myself this way. By far, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, for me anyways...others mileage may vary. Also, breathable waders are life now.  I will get one more season from my old neoprene waders before I move to insulated breathable waders.  Been wearing uninsulated breathable until mid-November from about 4 years and so happy that I made the switch.  I wear gym shorts under them...way better than neoprene.  

#TexasRigForLife.
Thanks given by: