Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thompson FX Pro hunter problem
Ok, here we go.
Blackthorn as has been stated is close to smokeless powder.
It is hotter then other substitute powders meaning a magnum charge is around 120-130 grains. READ THE LABEL. And just because you have a rifle that can take a magnum charge doesn't mean it will be the most accurate. Most of the time it isn't.

My experience has been with 4 CVA rifles and with the CVA you need a special breach plug to use BH209. I don't think you need a special breach plug for others.

It takes more heat to ignite BH209 so loose the "special" 209 muzzleloader primers. The only primers to really consider are the CCI magnum, Winchester and Federal. The word is the Federals are the hottest. One word of caution on Primers, they CAN change your group size and POI. So once you have found a satisfactory load for your gun don't just willly nilly switch to a different primer thinking it makes no difference. Anything and everything makes a difference which is really part of the fun.

I'm a big believer in Barnes bullets and personally use the 250 grain TEZ's. The Hornady Monoflex performs exactly the same as the Barnes and I can actually use them and they pretty much shoot to these same POI as the Barnes. Some find that the 290 grain barnes work better. That was not true in my case. The TEZ stands for tipped (bullet) and  EZ load sabot. The thickness of the plastic is thinner making for easier loading.

You will find a satisfactory load using between 90 to 110 grains of BH209, one of the Bullets mentioned above and one of the primers mentioned above.

In the two CVAs I have now I use Winchester 209 primers, 250grain Barnes TEZ. The Mountain rifle likes 90 grains BH209 and the Accura likes 100. I get about 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Not sure I can shoot any better then that. I think the rifles can shoot better then I can shoot them.

Not sure where you are located but If you want maybe we can get together. I went through what you are experiencing many years ago. 

Glenn
Thanks given by:
Great info Glenn. Thanks for posting it up. I forgot about that with the breech plug for the CVA. Guess between now and next season I will be looking into changing mine over and getting it all set up for the BH209.

Gravel thank you also for the info.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Joe and I will get you going. Hope to meet you this year. Maybe on a man drive and fried tenderloin or bacon wrapped on the Barbie!!

Greentop did stock the CVA BH209 plug, +- 35$.
Thanks given by:
If you have the time and money, the best medicine for shooting a ML well is experimentation. It’s a damn good feeling when you find one or two perfect combos for your gun. It’s just fun to shoot them. Don’t think you can’t get distance with less powder. Your holdover will be much higher butting will do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(11-06-2018, 11:48 AM)Gravelneck100 Wrote: If you have the time and money, the best medicine for shooting a ML well is experimentation.  It’s a damn good feeling when you find one or two perfect combos for your gun. It’s just fun to shoot them.  Don’t think you can’t get distance with less powder. Your holdover will be much higher butting will do it.

Yeah it was interesting getting what I am using now figured out.  I started with the Hornady SSTs.  The first shot would be on paper.  If I didn't clean it we couldn't figure out where the second shot was.  So then I tried a 3 shot string without cleaning and the 3rd shot hit the ground 10 yards or so in front of the target.  It was a mess.

Thanks given by:
(11-06-2018, 11:19 AM)GNC1948 Wrote: Joe and I will get you going. Hope to meet you this year. Maybe on a man drive and fried tenderloin or bacon wrapped on the Barbie!!

Greentop did stock the CVA BH209 plug, +- 35$.

Sounds good.  I found them on line for like $20-25 or something around there also.

Thanks given by:
(11-06-2018, 01:31 PM)Thummy Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 11:48 AM)Gravelneck100 Wrote: If you have the time and money, the best medicine for shooting a ML well is experimentation.  It’s a damn good feeling when you find one or two perfect combos for your gun. It’s just fun to shoot them.  Don’t think you can’t get distance with less powder. Your holdover will be much higher butting will do it.

Yeah it was interesting getting what I am using now figured out.  I started with the Hornady SSTs.  The first shot would be on paper.  If I didn't clean it we couldn't figure out where the second shot was.  So then I tried a 3 shot string without cleaning and the 3rd shot hit the ground 10 yards or so in front of the target.  It was a mess.

I haven’t had problems with the SSTs grouping with either my Traditions or my CVA rifle, but they don’t leave much of a blood trail it seems. That appears to be a problem with the SSTs. I switched to the Monoflex this year since they are supposed to expand better and leave a good blood trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(11-06-2018, 02:10 PM)sgtkersh Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 01:31 PM)Thummy Wrote:

I haven’t had problems with the SSTs grouping with either my Traditions or my CVA rifle, but they don’t leave much of a blood trail it seems.  That appears to be a problem with the SSTs.  I switched to the Monoflex this year since they are supposed to expand better and leave a good blood trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me, that's where the Parkers separate from the rest of the field.  Accurate and deadly.  I've had very few walk away from those bullets and those few died shortly after. They are $1.83 per bullet, but very much worth it.
Thanks given by: