Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dyke Marsh Wildlife Preserve
Back in 2008 there was a big hullabaloo in the Belle Haven area where community group called "Ducks Limited" tried to ban waterfowl hunting.

The claim was a woman was gardening and heard a shot from duck hunters and a bullet flew past her and rolled off her neighbor's rooftop and into the gutter.

I saw a lot of activity on various forums regarding a hearing in april 2008, and then nothing.  Can't find if the ban was successful or not and the website for Dyke Marsh does not clearly indicate whether hunting is allowed.

Anyone ever hunt this area?

Anyone know anything of this?
Thanks given by:
Oaky. Looks like the bill failed in 2009.

https://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2009/sj322/

Floating blind hunting still stands at the Dyke Marsh. Hunting groups should go on the offensive and push to lift the ban on hunting the Dyke Marsh from land!
Thanks given by:
You may be able to hunt it from a boat but that would out you in Maryland's jurisdiction and you would be required to be in accordance with their laws. Which, as I understand them requires there to be a licensed resident of Maryland in the boat. I would forget about hunting Dykes Marsh. There are not enough hunting groups to have enough pull to get that ban lifted.
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2018, 08:45 PM)JamesM Wrote: You may be able to hunt it from a boat but that would out you in Maryland's jurisdiction and you would be required to be in accordance with their laws. Which, as I understand them requires there to be a licensed resident of Maryland in the boat. I would forget about hunting Dykes Marsh. There are not enough hunting groups to have enough pull to get that ban lifted.
Why would that put you out in MD?
Looks like there is plenty of space to get a boat in there and still be 100 yards off shore/from the road.
MD line is like 1800 feet from the farther point out of the marsh
Thanks given by:
You are correct about the state lines. 

http://www.eregulations.com/virginia/mig...d-hunting/

"The waters of the Great Hunting Creek embayment within the city of Alexandria, and the waters of the Potomac River in Fairfax County north of Dyke Marsh and south of the city of Alexandria and between the shore and a line 1,000 feet from the Maryland State Line, although waterfowl that have been wounded elsewhere may be pursued into this area."

Is Dyke Marsh in Alexandria's city limits?  There are several, about 10, floating blind sites (GPS coordinates) that are listed on the VDGIF website so I would assume that it is not in the incorporated limits of Alexandria.  I believe the above paragraph delineates the buffer zone around Reagan National Airport.  You can't hunt within the limits of the preserve, regardless if you are 100 yards from the road/ shore...NPS regulations, since it is part of George Washington National Park and falls under their jurisdiction. You also can't use an internal combustion engine within the limits of the preserve. I was fishing from my kayak in the marsh this summer and I couldn't see well delineated limits so I guess you'd have to rely on your GPS.

Seems it is not illegal as long as you are not using a internal combustion engine inside the limits of the preserve and are using the proper floating blind site. I would expect a visit from the authorities and not a CPO since there are none assigned to Fairfax County.  That visit would probably not be in your favor since the local PD rarely knows wildlife laws and will seek to make the screaming idiots happy and just go away...can't say I blame them for that. Heaven forbid it is a NPS employee that comes to pay you a visit, in my experience they are a bunch of anti-hunter lunatics. Best case would be a federal warden working for USFWS but even they can be miserably uninformed.
Thanks given by:
Actually and I was surprised by this....Fairfax County now has a CPO assigned.

When I called about shooting rifles in Loudoun the CPO that called said he was from Fairfax and the Loudoun CPOs weren’t available which is why he was calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
News to me and equally surprised. When I called earlier this year I was told there was no CPO assigned to Fairfax county. Good news for sure.
Thanks given by:
I had no idea. I was shocked when he told me he was the CPO assigned to Fairfax County. I even said....really I didn’t know Fairfax has one. I called a few years ago because of someone stealing stands and pulling pins out of ladders but the CPO that called me back was from Loudoun and told me they covered down on Fairfax if there was an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks given by:
Would that be stands for Urban Archery season?... that had pin pulled out of ladders and such?
Thanks given by:
(12-26-2018, 01:46 PM)BillHoo Wrote: Would that be stands for Urban Archery season?... that had pin pulled out of ladders and such?

Yeah I had a private property I hunted in Great Falls.  Someone came along and pulled the pins out of the one ladder stand.  The other ladder stand they pulled the pins and took the bottom 2 ladder sections. 

Prior to that I had a hang on and sticks stolen and a ladder stand stolen.

Thanks given by: