Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rabbit hunt
this time of year, i sleep, eat, and breath next to my phone (like a school girl waiting for her beau to call), waiting for it to ring with someone on the other end that will invite me to rabbit hunt with beagles. i finally got one of those calls a couple of weeks ago only to have to turn down the invite due to work commitments. i cried myself to sleep that night. fast-forward to today and i got another invite. only problem, i'm on kid duty while the wife is away. but, since the wife's away, she can't say no to me taking the kiddos with me, which the dog owner is very cool with. looks like we'll be doing a home school field trip to learn about wildlife, firearms safety, marksmanship, ecology, wildlife habitat, ecology, animal husbandry, navigation, and physical exercise. win-win.
Thanks given by:
Good deal. Enjoy the day with the kids. Hope you have a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
That's awesome, hope the day was a blast! Looking forward to hearing about it
Thanks given by:
thanks fellas. we had a nearly perfect day. the weather was fantastic! we jumped four rabbits and only had a short chase with each as they ducked under buildings and log-piles quickly or the dogs lost them. these dogs are usually 'on' so we speculated that coyote pressure was influencing it. i had an easy shot at one rabbit but we had just jumped him and we don't like to shoot on the jump. the kids did fairly well, especially for 9 and 10 year olds. my daughter is better at being still and quiet than the boy who is older. we ran into a trapper that had just harvested several beavers, so we were able to include a homeschool lesson on trapping too. home education rocks! everybody had a great day. our bodies are worn out and we'll sleep good tonight. i can't wait to go again.
Thanks given by:
Very cool, great memories, great job raising the kids right!!
Thanks given by:
sounds like You had a great day ……. I think there was one lesson that You missed during Your hunt. Most likely, was that the rabbits that You jumped, and the dogs ran, were females. They and nature have a way with them in February, of not running far. Love is in the air for them in February, so they don't go far, but the bucks will give a dog a run for his money. They breed now, and then the "eyes of March" - glad You had a good day - any day in the field is worth more than a week in school!!!!!

Thanks given by:
(02-14-2019, 05:38 PM)Carcass Wrote: thanks fellas.  we had a nearly perfect day.  the weather was fantastic!  we jumped four rabbits and only had a short chase with each as they ducked under buildings and log-piles quickly or the dogs lost them. ......

Hunting near buildings?
Thanks given by:
Yep, there was house, old abandoned homes, barns, sheds and junk piles. Rabbit havens!
Thanks given by: