Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Army posts make great habitat for game and predators
I spoke with a friend of mine who is stationed in Arizona (Huachuca), and he's just really been amazed with the abundance of game and predators in mountains and valleys around the post. He's seen muleys, turkey, javelina, and coyotes. It got me to thinking of all the times that I was hunting on posts around Germany, and I came across the story on the Stars and Stripes today. story here

[Image: image.jpg]
Wolf on the Grafenwöhr Training Area

It seems that wolves are making a comeback in Germany, thanks in part to the protection that they receive from the German government, and the habitat that they find on the training areas. they were hunted to extinction in Germany in the early 1900s, but have made a return with as many as 73 packs throughout the country. 

There have been other introductions of wolves back into the States, and the reaction from ranchers has been less than cordial. This will be a sticking point between proponents and opponents of wolf introductions in the mountain states for some time to come.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Yes.  It was at 2 AM in Ft. Bliss TX that a coyote came to me when I was doing guard duty on an empty range facility out in the middle of the desert during Basic Training.

He just came to within 30 feet and sat there staring at me for a while before wandering off into the night.

In a way, I wonder if it was my "spirit" guide.  If you think of it, Basic is similar to some native American rituals - sleep depravation, fasting to a degree and being left alone in the wilderness to meditate.

The coyote is known as the Trickster.
Thanks given by:
I just got this from my buddy at Fort Huachuca in southern Arizona desert. Seems that Rio turkeys have invaded the main post parade field area, and they are not few in numbers.

I've done more PT tests on that field than I care to remember. We also ran down the adjacent street which is known as "Apache flats". It is one of the few places in the Army that you run down hill for 1.75 out of the 2 mile running course for PT tests.
Thanks given by:
Seems to me that they would have had you run it in the other direction. 

Every where I ran in basic was uphill both ways!!  rolling
Thanks given by:
They account for the elevation. The post sits at 5000 feet; most soldiers come from Jackson or Ft. Leonard Wood. They are considerably lower in elevation, and it takes one quarter of the average training course just to acclimate to Huachuca.

We used to run PT tests at the old stadium on fort Hood. We ran down a 1/3 mile course and then up hill for 2/3 of it. Was freaking terrible especially when a flat one mile rail head was at the same location...
Thanks given by:
I wish I could have run a PT test out there on Apache Flats. We always ran the road from 4 Corners....a mile out and a mile back. It was pretty flat. People could cut time off running that down hill on Apache Flats. I can say that it didn't take me long to be fine out in AZ after leaving Ft Lost in the Woods. I can say that I really liked when I left AZ and went to Ft Benning, GA to run. Man that was an easy PT test.

The military bases are great for wildlife. They have great habitat and while a lot allow hunting there are still plenty of areas you can't hunt that are preserved.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
The bases on Guam are some of the few places that still have HUGE (trashcan sized) coconut crabs!  The big ones have been hunted out all over the pacific.

Claws big enough to split a coconut!
Thanks given by:
(9 hours ago)BillHoo Wrote: The bases on Guam are some of the few places that still have HUGE (trashcan sized) coconut crabs!  The big ones have been hunted out all over the pacific.

Claws big enough to split a coconut!

Careful going to Guam. Word is if there are too many people in the island it might tip over. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by: