Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ready to go for 2019
I find myself in an interesting position this year. I have only been turkey hunting for about 4 years and have only killed 2 turkeys. The first one was a jake. I am still not great at calling but I manage.

So opening day I am headed out with a great friend to see if we can kill a bird or two. I am not even worried about killing one. He isn’t a big turkey hunter but I am more interested in calling one in for him

Then I am headed out in 3 weeks with one of my old bosses. He has never killed a turkey but has seen them on his hunt club property in MD. Sure I could go some place and chase a turkey for myself but more interested in getting him his first turkey.

I wish I could say I limited out on turkeys some day, but damn it is fun playing with them. Nothing like a gobbler blowing your ears out at 20-40 yards. Heck just hearing them in the distance is cool.

Anyone else just enjoy it so much that you pass up shooting to just be out there and see others shoot them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I love going with people. Helping call for them and having them help me. Always a good time
Thanks given by:
All of my "favorite" birds have been ones I have called in for someone else. I somehow feel more connected to a turkey hunt when I am not the one squeezing the trigger.
Thanks given by:
Over the past 4 or 5 years I have probably called more in for others than myself.. but I would have to go back and double check that to be sure.. I know two years ago I watched 5 die and I never even pulled the trigger at all.. and last year I called in 2 for others and killed two .. one with help from Skimerhorn Smile ..and missed two Sad
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
Same here, I get more nervous calling for others than myself. Love getting others hooked.
I've killled 54 myself and called in 95 that others have killed. Numbers aren't to brag but just to show how much I treasure them all, first 5 years was on my own then started getting and calling for others.
It is so great and fun to share with others, actually sitting next to them, hearing them and seeing them shake.
Started in 92 in Jersey and was blessed with flexible hours that allowed me a lot of time to hunt.

If I had to chose between going by myself for me or going and calling for another , hands down calling for another wins every time
Thanks given by:
I've just started getting into calling for others. Only been at this for 4 years or so myself as well but definitely a good rush either way especially when introducing someone to the sport. I'll be calling for a buddy next weekend if all goes to plan. Rain rain go away though... forecast is tanking. Looks like another wet Spring. Won't stop me but Grrr.....
Thanks given by:
Dang Tomcbigbucks. That is a lot of turkeys.

I want to kill a few more and I have enjoyed being out in my own. I was with Gutpyls when I killed my first one and was solo for my second.

I only get out a couple times a season. My first year I was out like 4 days. The second year only got out 2 or 3 times. The 3rd year I was only out 2 or 3 days and same last year. Shaping up to be another 4 day year. Hope to sneak in a 5th day but it will be late in the season and them public land birds will be tough.

Guess it helps having private land to hunt constantly for turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Nope... I guess I'm the selfish 1 of the group.
But with not getting out this year, it'll be all about y'all!
Good luck everyone.
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
Having just got back, i am not even set up with a license yet. Will have to wait until fall before getting any huhting in.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
(04-10-2019, 10:08 AM)tomcbigbucks Wrote: Same here, I get more nervous calling for others than myself. Love getting others hooked.
I've killled 54 myself and called in 95 that others have killed. Numbers aren't to brag but just to show how much I treasure them all, first 5 years was on my own then started getting and calling for others.
It is so great and fun to share with others, actually sitting next to them, hearing them and seeing them shake.
Started in 92 in Jersey and was blessed with flexible hours that allowed me a lot of time to hunt.

If I had to chose between going by myself for me or going and calling for another , hands down calling for another wins every time

I'll keep you in mind if I need a caller for one of our Wheelin' Sportsmen hunts!
Thanks given by: