Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The end of my season recap
Sorry this is so long, but thought I would share how my season went.  Didn't score on a turkey but had a great time anyway
Well the season didn't work out the way I had hoped.

Opening weekend we waited out the rain and then hit the woods.  Struck a bird within 10-15 minutes of leaving the truck.  It was the first call I made.  He was way down in the lower end of a field.  There was a strip of woods about 50 or so yards wide between the field he was in and the field we just passed.  We backed up and went down to the far corner of the adjacent field.  Closed a bunch of distance on him and figured it would be easier to call him through those woods than all the way up the field, plus there wasn't a great place to set up and didn't want to be out in the open at the end of the field he was in.  We got set and I called again and he fired off along with another bird that was behind us.  Waited awhile and called again, with both birds answering me again.  Got them to answer one more time and that was it. We sat for almost an hour and neither bird showed or answered again.

Hit a property in MD with one of my old bosses 2 weekends ago.  Was going in blind not knowing the property.  It had stormed really good the night before so we didn't get the chance to try and roost one.  Eased down the main trail through the property and gave a call now and then.  Stopped to call and right after I called I heard a hen.  I said to my buddy...don't move, turkey and it is close.  She walked out across the trail we were on at about 25 yards.  She continued on her way.  We waited a minute and then sat down against a couple trees.  I gave a couple soft calls hoping a gobbler was around, but nothing.  We checked out the property and then finally got a gobble, but it was way off.  We walked down the trail to a spot where we could set up and put the decoys out on the trail in the open.  As soon as I sat down I called again and had a second bird gobble from a different direction and closer.  Got both those birds to gobble one more time and then they stopped.  We sat for an hour and nothing.  About 15 -20 minutes after we got set I heard a hen behind me but I never saw her.   

This past weekend got to take the annual trip up to the mountains.  Gutpyls and I go run around the mountain trying to find a turkey while AC and my wife hang out and drink wine.  Always a great time, but dang them mountain birds are tough.  Another friend of theirs was up to hang out as well.  We set off Saturday morning looking for a bird.  We couldn't put one to sleep Friday evening so it was another shot in the dark of where they would be.  We took a long hike around the mountain and only saw a bear.  With the morning ending it was back to the cabin to relax and hang out.  Sunday morning was pouring down rain, no hunting for us.  

That ended my season as I have too many things going on the next 2 weekends.  Unless somehow I stumble on a spot down near Hague, VA I am calling it a season.  Always fun though.

Congrats to all that scored.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Hey Thummy at least you got out and were in the woods both alone and with friends. Glad you got a chance to spy on some birds.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Yeah. All three times I was out it was with friends. Sure made for some good times.

Can’t beat a day in the woods. Wish I had more time to get out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks given by:
Good stuff. It's the chase that makes it fun.
Thanks given by:
Ryan, Glenn says to take you hunting clothes with you to Hague and try and find a spot, he called in a bird just down the road in Montross for a friend this am.
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2019, 12:40 PM)67gt390fb Wrote: Ryan, Glenn says to take you hunting clothes with you to Hague and try and find a spot, he called in a bird just down the road in Montross for a friend this am.

That is the area we are in. We go through montross to get to the campground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks given by: