Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
who's still chasing turkeys?
who is still chasing turkeys and what action are you finding? are some still henned up or you finding lonely toms? is there more or less gobbling than at the beginning of the season?
Thanks given by:
I'm finding more ticks and less fun
Thanks given by: TACdrop
I thought about trying to take another one with the .357 Bulldog Air Rifle but my Hawaii adventures have gotten in the way. Now I'm prepping for my Kauai Boar hunt in a couple of weeks Smile
Thanks given by:
Still grinding it out there. One tag left. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse than last season, this season comes along. Do turkeys still gobble? Sheesh
Thanks given by:
Indian.. glad to see you around man.. keep after them.. I heard one this morning hammering.. but I have been out of tags for three weeks.. so just relegated to listening .. he's not huntable for me anyway.
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
Gonna try one more time but with a hitch. Hunting this evening. I've never hunted the afternoon/roost portion of the day so will be curious if I see or hear anything but have the pm open so I figured what the heck. If they are still roosting anywhere near where they were in mid April I should at least hear some scratching before flyup. Will post on what I see/hear later. On to fishing starting Thursday. :-)
Thanks given by:
good luck bluefishnc. i look forward to your update.
Thanks given by:
Still trying. Haven't heard a bird in 2 weeks
Thanks given by:
Saw nothing and heard nothing (at least I was sure of). Beautiful evening in the woods though. Field near where I was hunting didn't get planted this Spring and got sprayed 2 weeks or so ago I'm guessing so that probably didn't do me any favors. I was banking the farmer would have had it in corn or something by now. Still a fun season and glad I got out a last time but definitely prefer the am. Still early rising for me tomorrow but chasing convicts (stripers) on the Potomac instead. Summer season (over 20") opens tomorrow and the river looked really nice (clear and debris free) this afternoon when I got down. Good luck to all those chasing feathers still.
Thanks given by:
I took a friend's son out this morning and it worked to perfection...almost. We got set up quickly and quietly, all tucked in behind brush and time to spare. First gobble at 5:20 150 yards off along the river. I waited 10-15 more minutes then gave a couple soft calls. He'd hammer every 3-4 minutes. I did my best fly-down call and he hammered right back. 5 minutes later he was walking the field edge along the river and hammering, making his way closer. He strutted 60-70 yards away for 20 minutes and answered every call I made. Finally I did some hard cutting and I saw him break strut and head towards us in that I'm-gonna-kick-your-ass sideways walk. "Get ready, get your gun up, safety off and I'll tell you when to shoot." My buddy was set up perfectly, shotgun on his knee aimed towards the jake. The gobbler got 3-4 yards from the jake, head shot up, and he putted. I knew neither of us had moved. WTH? I told my hunter to shoot. I watched him swing and get on the gobbler at 20 yards, and ......click. We're looking at each other with shocked looks when a mangy coyote goes running by, between the gobbler and us. So NOW I know why the gobbler spooked. Evidently, the pump didn't completely cycle when he loaded it at the van. MY fault for not double checking it. We got his gun loaded as the gobbler was now 80 yards off. I'd call, he'd hammer. We did that for 10 more minutes until he'd finally had enough and walked off. We packed up, he headed to school and I'm home sipping coffee. What an almost-perfect hunt. He'll live another day...and a little bit smarter.

He was still ready to die so I'm sure if we'd had time, we could have moved on him and killed hi...with a loaded gun.
Thanks given by: