Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Report
Use a bass rod with braid. Too water frogs work good. That is what guys are catching them on where I fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I didn't even get out to go fishing this weekend! Busy helping my wife canning a bushel of tomatoes. And fussing with the smoker in the backyard. Did a rack of spare ribs baby backs and a poor man's beef brisket.... a chuck roast.
Thanks given by:
Went out to the Belvoir this morning near the marina.  Got there around 9:30 and fish for an hour.

It was already in the mid-80s by the time I got there.

A bunch of kids were fishing the creek with bread for bait, I suspect they trying for panfish.  They did not seem to have much luck.

I found a spot with good line of site to some lily pads.  My choice was either my trout rod, or a surf fishing rod, so I opted for the surf rod which was spooled with I think between 30 or 50 pound mono.

Was not able to reach the pads with the relatively light frog.

I saw something jump several times about 2 to 4 feet from the lily pads.  Unfortunately, my casts were all about 10 feet short.  

I have a new Quantum Optics40 spin reel that I just loaded with 20 pound braid.  I might go back and give that a try.  the lighter line might give me the 10 feet I need to reach the edge of the pads.  

Maybe rig a Carolina setup with a 1/2 or 1 oz. egg sinker will still allow the frog to float, and might also get me a few more feet of distance.

I've seen those lily pads at low tide.  The water is no more than a foot above the mud when the tide comes in.

Some say Snakeheads like to situate themselves up on a ledge like that to ambush things coming up from the deeper water.
Thanks given by:
I’m Fished the rivanna today from crofton to palmyra. Water was very muddy. Fishing was terrible. Also Fished a private pond yesterday and today. Caught about a dozen lmb both days and one 12” crappie. Largest bass was 15”. Too freaking hot though!!!!!
Thanks given by:
BillHoo. Get a 4 inch frog or one of those hollow soft body ones with 2 hooks. They will float but give some extra weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Got skunked today. Went there early this morning, found that the tide had gone out it's nothing mud Flats. I took some pictures for reference so I can figure out where to cast When the tide comes back in.

Did a test of my new setup with the 20 lb braided line.

I'm now able to cast well into the weeds from the far Bank.
We'll have to try again either later this weekend or some other day.
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2019, 10:35 AM)BillHoo Wrote: What kind of tackle are you using for that?  Line weight, leader, lure or bait, technique fast real/jigging?

Sorry totally missed this.

Small spinning rod with 8lb mono.
No leader. White plastic grub worm on a bubble head jig hook. Lots of grass so jigged it on the bottom for very short period and then pulled it off the bottom and let it sink back down..jig again. Etc

Mostly messing with my kids so very little technique and whatever was quick for me to do. Not much car space for the drive so micro rod was all I had.

Sorry to hear about the conditions for you today though. Good luck the rest of the weekend!

I'm hoping to go offshore once or twice in sept
Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
btw. The bridge that leads to the Belvoir marina was out, otherwise I would have tried fishing over there. As I was leaving the creek I talked with a guy pulling his kayak out and he told me he caught a 10 pound snakehead by casting near the docks.
Thanks given by: