Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fell from Tree Stand
https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/roano...tree-stand
Sent from Delaware....
Thanks given by:
THIS I have always thought and said this from the injured hunter  "Any stand with those steel cables, I just wouldn't trust them. I'd put some kind of secondary safety system in them... You can't be safe enough, and always wear your harness."

putting way too much trust in a product built by chinese or similar low cost labor
Thanks given by:
I replace those cables on my stands after 2 years of use. I went and made my own using heavier cable and on one stand I used chain but that can be noisy.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I got one with cables that hold up the foot platform and everytime I look at them I think how skinny they are...will be upgrading that sucker soon. Fortunately, I have a safety harness and rope system so if something bad does happen, I got that. Hope this guys heals up okay.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I have two lock on stands that have cables holding the foot platforms. Ive inspected them both before they go up a tree and they looked in good working order but after reading that I may replace them both anyway. I catch a lot of flack from guys I hunt with but I never go up a tree without my harness on and attached to a lifeline. Theres aint a Boone and Crockett buck anywhere thats worth my life!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2019, 09:08 AM)WildBill Wrote: Theres aint a Boone and Crockett buck anywhere thats worth my life!

Yeah...That AGREE 

I check and replace straps on my stands probably more often than I really need too, but not worth taking the chance.  They say you should replace harnesses every 5 years.  I think that is a bit much though.  I have gone longer with my current one, but also there hasn't been any shock to it.  They say if you do fall replace the harness right away.  Even with no noticable issues I am going to be replacing my harness after this season.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I use hang on stands and put up safety lines that are attached above the stand to the tree and run to the base of the tree where I tie them to the tree or ladder. Using a harness and a prusik knot I am never detached whether I’m going up or down. Too much can go wrong and you never know when something might fail so being attached 100% of the time seems like a good idea. It’s easy enough to slide the knot up and down and it grabs if you fall.
Thanks given by:
Agree those cables are crap.. I have had a couple break on me.. but only one .. the other held and I didn't fall plus I had a lifeline on.. I replace them with a Ratchet Strap .. I trust those more than anything..
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
I just stay away from lockons anymore, regardless if its screw ins, sticks or sectional steps. Just this year I was gonna set one and while doing so just felt unsafe and went and bought another ladderPulled all of them and now the sit in a pile on farm. They are in good shape but I refuse to use them. Climber or ladders for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bucks are easy - Thats why I shoot little ones!
Thanks given by:
I use a full body harness on a climber. I use that Treestand Wingman decend system too.

And to add I've tested my harness 2 times. Both in the dark. Kept right on hunting both times. I only fell inches on a climbing stick set-up. I am a solid believer in them. They're cheap insurance.
Thanks given by: