Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bull run Shooting Center
Headed out there tonight to practice my swing.

Have not shot there since I took the safety course there a year and a half ago.

Anyone want to meet up?
Thanks given by:
Well, that was fun.  First time shooting at a moving target playing a set of Wobble.  I think it was $6 for a 25 shot set and maybe another $6 or $7 for the box of 25 #8 shells, 12 gauge 2 3/4.  They have shotguns to rent if you don't have one.

I initially went there with my 870 Wingmaster on which I had mounted a See All sight.  I picked it up last week and wanted to see if it would be any help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR-h6PYSDhw

For targets moving as fast as a clay bird, the See All was not very useful.  I think I only hit 1 out of 10.  It was easy enough to remove and my score improved a bit as I went on the remaining 15 shots.  Final score was 6 out of 25.

I had not been there in over a year when I took the basic safety course and intro to shotgun shooting.

I do not think the safety course is necessary to shoot there, but it is encouraged.  I think it is only offered on Saturday or Sunday.

Safety rules are a little odd if you are used to "Keep your weapon up, and downrange".  Or keeping weapons cased until you get to your shooting station.

Here, the rules are - Shotguns out of the case and actions open, Muzzle pointed down.  Those are the rules for entering the building when you check in and pay for a game.

Once you have your ticket, you exit the building (action open, muzzle down) and follow the white fence down to the Wobble range.  when you get there, wait for the guy running the range to call you up and assign you to a start position.  From here, the safety rules change slightly.  For Break barrel guns it is still action open, muzzles down for moving from station to station.  For Pumps and semi-autos, it is action open, muzzles up.

When at the station, actions open and weapon resting on the rail (kinda balanced there) with at least one hand on it at all times.  Then the shooting begins.

WOBBLE
There are 5 stations all next to each other in a row. The range manager controls your movements, launches the clays and keeps your score.

You rotate to each position after shooting 5 shots.
The sequence starts with everyone taking a turn shooting 1 round each.  Then they go at two clays each.  Then they go another two clays each.  After that they move to the next position and do it all over again.

The loads were light, did not feel sore in the shoulder afterward.  I think I'll go again next week.
Thanks given by:
Were all the positions at ground level? Due to distance from my house I have been to the PG County Trap & Skeet Club in MD several times. It is about the same distance from me as Bull Run. When I read through (years ago) the rules at Bull Run they required you to take the class and I just didn't feel like dealing with that and taking the time. That helped in my decision to not go there. Everything else (price wise and distance) were the same.

The Wobble course at the PG County Trap and Skeet Club is partly elevated. Stage 1 is ground level. Stage 2 is up about 5 feet. Stage 3 is right above the thrower and is about 10 or so feet up. Stage 4 is back around 5 feet and then the final stage is ground level. Same deal everyone starts at a different stage (5 shooters max) and rotates after 5 shots (single, double, double).
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Yes.  the Wobble positions were same as you described.

x x x x x
x x x x x
x x x x x
1 2 3 4 5

Maybe the guy behind the counter saw that I knew their safety rules, and just took my word when I said "I haven't been here since I took the safety course over a year and a half ago."

He didn't ask for my name to check a database.  Nor do they issue a Range card like they do at the NRA range, or Clark Brothers.
Thanks given by:
This is fun, I'm considering buying a used string-operated mechanical thrower, or a hand thrower to practice on my own.

Only place I can conceive of doing this might be out in the big fields at Phelps or Thompson. The VDGIF wind if I covered the fields with broken blaze orange clays?
Thanks given by:
Yeah I wouldn't try going to a WMA and throwing clays around in one of their fields. I am sure that would cause a problem.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Good point.

But I have a better chance of getting away with it than at the Fairfax HS Football field! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Man if you have more notice I might try and meet up sometime.
Bull run is only 10 min from my office!
Thanks given by: BillHoo
Bull run also has trap, skeet, 5 stand, and sporting clays.

Always a great time getting out and busting some clays!
Thanks given by: BillHoo
(10-10-2019, 07:02 PM)avant4me Wrote: Man if you have more notice I might try and meet up sometime.
Bull run is only 10 min from my office!

Well, I'm going to make it out there next week Wednesday.

Seems the only range in use was the Wobble range when I was there.  Guy whose photo is on the Bull Run website was there.  People were ribbing him for being there all the time!
Thanks given by: