Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia - Veterans Waterfowl Hunting Days
I did not know of this!  Cool!  I get to shoot geese one more day in October and February!

--------
https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/re...gamebirds/

Scroll down two thirds of the page.

Youth & Veterans Waterfowl Hunting Days
October 26, 2019 and February 8, 2020
Statewide. Open to Youth 15 years of age and under, Military Veterans (as defined in section 101 of title 38, United States Code) and members of the Armed Forces on active duty, including members of the National Guard and Reserves on active duty (other than for training). Participants may harvest the allowed daily bag limit of ducks (see above), sea ducks (including in the Special Sea Duck Zone), and other waterfowl, including Atlantic brant, coots, mergansers, gallinules, moorhens, light geese, 1 Canada goose in the Atlantic Population Zone, 5 Canada geese in the Southern James Bay Population and Resident Population zones, and 1 tundra swan (if in possession of a tundra swan permit) on the designated days. Resident youth aged 12–15, nonresident youth age 15 or under, and Veterans need a valid Virginia hunting license, unless license exempt. All hunters participating must be Virginia HIP registered (gooutdoorsvirginia.com). All youth must be accompanied and directly supervised by an adult at least 18 years of age or older who has a valid Virginia hunting license (unless license exempt). The accompanying adult cannot hunt ducks (unless they are a Veteran), but may hunt for those species for which there is an open season.
Thanks given by:
I'm planning to go out early Saturday morning. Will bring some Canada Goose FUDs and a few wood duck decoys.
Thanks given by:
(10-18-2019, 03:07 PM)BillHoo Wrote: I did not know of this!  Cool!  I get to shoot geese one more day in October and February!

--------
https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/re...gamebirds/

Scroll down two thirds of the page.

Youth & Veterans Waterfowl Hunting Days
October 26, 2019 and February 8, 2020
Statewide. Open to Youth 15 years of age and under, Military Veterans (as defined in section 101 of title 38, United States Code) and members of the Armed Forces on active duty, including members of the National Guard and Reserves on active duty (other than for training). Participants may harvest the allowed daily bag limit of ducks (see above), sea ducks (including in the Special Sea Duck Zone), and other waterfowl, including Atlantic brant, coots, mergansers, gallinules, moorhens, light geese, 1 Canada goose in the Atlantic Population Zone, 5 Canada geese in the Southern James Bay Population and Resident Population zones, and 1 tundra swan (if in possession of a tundra swan permit) on the designated days. Resident youth aged 12–15, nonresident youth age 15 or under, and Veterans need a valid Virginia hunting license, unless license exempt. All hunters participating must be Virginia HIP registered (gooutdoorsvirginia.com). All youth must be accompanied and directly supervised by an adult at least 18 years of age or older who has a valid Virginia hunting license (unless license exempt). The accompanying adult cannot hunt ducks (unless they are a Veteran), but may hunt for those species for which there is an open season.

I got skunked again!

I got out to Thompson Lake, expecting to jump a few geese that I know to hang around the island at the back of the lake.

Instead I find an empty Crater where the lake used to be!

Interesting to note, in the center of the lake are several very large Boulder formations with jagged surfaces. I'm sure I've gotten a few lures stuck on those rocks in the past few years!

In fact, I laid down my shotgun and pack and went down to kick around the edges of the rocks to see if there were any lures to be found.

Didn't find anything, but I did notice a lot of fish jumping in what remained of the lake at the base of the dam. Maybe I should have brought my fishing gear with me. I remember a stocking in February and March was maybe over a thousand fish. But no one was catching them because the water was too cold. I wonder if they're all concentrated down at the base of the dam now?

I'm thinking about exploring the lake further maybe I might find a few old rusty guns at the bottom of the lake bed! Haha

I'll post a few pictures later. I saw some folks horseback riding in the area and chatted them up. They agreed with me they've never seen the lake drain to that level before.
Thanks given by:
Its a long walk from the island for any resident geese to get to the water.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks given by:
I am guessing that pond is usually up to where the high grass is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Correct.

Hard to see from my photos, but the 10 acre lake has now been reduced to about 2 to 3 acres.
Thanks given by: