Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does rattling ever work?
Or is it a regional thing based on local herd size and ratios of bucks to does? I’ve wanted to give it a try, but not sure it would work, given I've never heard bucks going at it, let alone seen any fights. Man, Ibet a good throw down is awesome to watch, though.
Thanks given by:
I have never heard or seen a fight either in 10 plus years of hard hunting, only some light sparring. That would be great to see, maybe this season!

Love to rattle, I have had a lot of success with it during peak rut. If I am on the ground I will break limbs, sticks, tear up the ground etc. I had one buck run in on top of me so fast I barely had time to get my gun up as I was still in the middle of rattling, a decent 12 pt. I have also called in a hot doe, and a nice buck was not far behind her. Like anything in the woods, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I know people who LOVE a bleat can and I can't say I have ever once had anything respond to that, and I have turned that dang can up and down so many times.

Thanks given by:
Ive been wondering the same thing myself....ive carried a set of rattling horns or a rattle bag with me on every trip for the last four years and never had a buck charge in looking for a fight. Now I will say this, at 0730 on the 23rd my lack of patience got the better of me and I started playing with the rattle bag. At 0744 I shot a spike that came in from the south. Not two minutes after the shot a four pointer came into the same shooting lane from the north and sniffed the arrow that just went through his buddy. Was it the rattle bag? Or just dumb luck that a spike happened to be walking through and maybe the four pointer smelled him and decided to check things out? Maybe the rattling only works well if you have a camera crew with you.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I have had some success in VA mostly with light sparing or tickling. Flat out hard rattling not much in VA. I have been caught with antlers in my hands in IA they came in running and very limited success elsewhere. IMO its really timing and attitude of bucks. I have seen a few fights but most don’t last long but in my personal exp. I usually don’t because I feel its to easy to be seen and not a high % for me anyway. A lot of guys in KS do it with pretty good success but not me. Im sure it also has to do with buck doe ratios. In KS I hardly see does.

Heck you have to try and gain your own perspective. If you don’t you will never know. GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bucks are easy - Thats why I shoot little ones!
Thanks given by:
(10-28-2019, 01:36 PM)BOW4UM Wrote: I have had some success in VA mostly with light sparing or tickling. Flat out hard rattling not much in VA. I have been caught with antlers in my hands in IA they came in running and very limited success elsewhere. IMO its really timing and attitude of bucks. I have seen a few fights but most don’t last long but in my personal exp. I usually don’t because I feel its to easy to be seen and not a high % for me anyway. A lot of guys in KS do it with pretty good success but not me. Im sure it also has to do with buck doe ratios. In KS I hardly see does.

Heck you have to try and gain your own perspective. If you don’t you will never know. GL

You nailed it on being about the attitude of a buck, which is why I like to rattle.  In case its the one with the biggest horns and attitude, ha.  I think most calling is getting harder to do as everyone is in the woods is using every call they can get off the shelf.   When I grew up hunting you never called, only with a grunt tube to a deer you could see.  Now there is all kinds of options people use and abuse sometimes.

Thanks given by:
(10-28-2019, 01:54 PM) pid=\143483' Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 01:36 PM)BOW4UM Wrote: I have had some success in VA mostly with light sparing or tickling. Flat out hard rattling not much in VA. I have been caught with antlers in my hands in IA they came in running and very limited success elsewhere. IMO its really timing and attitude of bucks. I have seen a few fights but most don’t last long but in my personal exp. I usually don’t because I feel its to easy to be seen and not a high % for me anyway. A lot of guys in KS do it with pretty good success but not me. Im sure it also has to do with buck doe ratios. In KS I hardly see does.

I saw an absolutely astonishing fight once, in Gainesville.  I heard it, then out of nowhere the two bucks showed up under my stand fighting (there was a third smaller buck just standing to the side watching).   It was in late October, right before the start of Muzzleloader season.   Just incredible to witness.  ANd of course, I was so amazed, I forgot to kill any of them.   It seemed to last for half an hour, but in reality the bulk of the brutal fighting lasted about a minute.  Then they all ran off.
Thanks given by:
I've never had any success with rattling or using a bleat can. last year was the first time anything came to my grunt call in all my years of trying. since it'd never happened before, i'm wondering if it was just a coincidence. ??? i just try staying quiet and still now.
Thanks given by:
Grunt tube is totally diff and I love it. I don’t blind grunt usually I only grunt with purpose. Where I hunt they are vocal as all get out and a couple years ago I blew a shot on a Booner I grunted in. Thats one thing always with me. You have to know a little about grunts for it to work you just cant blow the damn thing. Learn the few calls.

GL to you rattlers. Its about time!

Thanks given by:
(10-28-2019, 03:23 PM)Countertop Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 01:54 PM)pid=\143483 Wrote:

I saw an absolutely astonishing fight once, in Gainesville.  I heard it, then out of nowhere the two bucks showed up under my stand fighting (there was a third smaller buck just standing to the side watching).   It was in late October, right before the start of Muzzleloader season.   Just incredible to witness.  ANd of course, I was so amazed, I forgot to kill any of them.   It seemed to last for half an hour, but in reality the bulk of the brutal fighting lasted about a minute.  Then they all ran off.

That's plain wild man!  Gave me a chuckle, but what a sight to see!

BOW.. which grunts do you use for attracting the attention of a mature buck?  I know most of the calls, I have used them with little success, like others and yourself describe.

Thanks given by:
I like the primo bottleneck. I have tried several and even custom but this is the one for me.

We all like what we use but this one works well and I mean on deer!!!

[Image: 68f6640397489b19a55001495f9c5c46.jpg]

When I don’t know I ask those that actually use it with exp not just an opinion.

Thummy actually turned me on to a product I have come to love and flat out works and saves me every year! Its a bow sling. Saves my string freed up hands... I no longer hunt without it caring my bow thru tall grass ... use to destroy my string - no more.

Go spend the $20 and try this call for a year. Hell ill send ya one if ya need I have several!

Thanks given by: