Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just made a bad shot. Opinions quick please
Just shot a 140s stud. He surprised me and got under the stand. Hit him high shoulder about 4 inches under the spine. Exit will be 6 so probably got one lung missed the other. He isn't bleeding bad. Rain is gonna f any track tomorrow. How long???? He has about 1/3 of a mile to private I cannot touch but if he stays in the corridor up til then he is probably mine. Anyone with experience on a single lung high shoulder. He was at a full sprint for at least 75 yds from the stand running down a creek. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I know better dammit. Always shoot low on those shots GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Thanks given by: smokinggun
Do you have access to tracking dog?

1 lung not always a kill. Obviously you checked arrow and if sure lung I would give him time and may peruse with last 1/2hr of light then back out if needed. 2 hrs would be what I would do or come back in am if not a lot of yotes. If its rack you want come back in am and grid search with others. Thats my .02

Don’t get emotionally into it yet as that will mess you up and your decisions. You have killed them before - use your exp and skill.
6” is good on exit! GL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bucks are easy - Thats why I shoot little ones!
Thanks given by:
The arrow fletching is all torn.  I've never had that happen.  Had to have hit bone (shoudler or spine) somewhere I think.

Got a buddy.  We are gonna make a cautious search at 7:15 and pray.  He smells like hell so I will probably smell him first.  I could smell him in the stand.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks given by:
Was it obvious lung blood on arrow? That looks like muscle meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bucks are easy - Thats why I shoot little ones!
Thanks given by:
No. Not obvious lung blood. He shot out like a cannon and got to a road 50 yards away and ran over it and down a utility line. He was at a full sprint. I checked the road and even at a full sprint he was bleeding drops so he is hit but I didn't go any further than the road to look at blood. Not much I could find in brief look at first 50 yards. I have permission along the a corridor that runs another 1/4 mile then he hits a neighborhood and I am screwed. So ticked at myself right now. I've made that mistake twice now in 5 years on a good buck. This was my target buck for the property too.
Thanks given by:
Rethinking things... No rain til 3 pm tomorrow. I think I may hold off tracking until early tomorrow am. 50 F right now but low in the am is 33 so he should still be salvagable. For sure I did not gut shoot him.

Gonna be a long night....
Thanks given by:
Good luck, a bloodhound is a good worthwhile investment for finding it.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
There are tracking services in VA. They are free. I can’t remember the name of it though. If you are on FB go to the BA hunting pages. I know I have seen it mentioned there.

I would wait at least 2 hours.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Thanks all. Yeah.. dog is not worth it here. He is hemmed up on one side by a residential neighborhood and on the other side by a 2 lane road which I don't believe he will cross. He is either gonna be in the 1/4 of mile I can track or not and if not he is in the neighborhood I can't track into. Big 1 plus acre lots and way too many of them to get permissions unless the blood is really talking to me. Hate this feeling. Makes me want to quit hunting every time.
Thanks given by:
I'd check along the creek he was running down, and along any other water as well. Often they will get to a water source, lay down, and not be able to go on.

Good luck!!!
Thanks given by: