Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late season success
Not who I was after yesterday but at this point in the season I am very happy with him.   Taken in Powhatan, Va at 4:30 on 01/01.  8 does came out on one side of the swamp and up the hill behind me.  I was watching them expecting a buck to come on the same trail behind them when I here crunch crunch out in front of me.  4 bucks had sneaked across and were at 50 yds in front of me.  Put the scope on a decent 7 but could see more behind so let him walk.  Spike was next, then a 4 pt, then this 9 pt (10 with a small 1 inch sticker).  He could have used another year but with nothing decent down this year and a few close encounters that have left me frustrated he paid the price.

Funny thing is when I let the .30-06 sing the 8 does just stood there behind me.  Couldn't find me so they went back to feeding.  The 3 remaining bucks ran off a bit and then the big 7 came back and was snorting up a storm.  He went over to his buddy and circled him for 10 minutes or so.  Finally wandered off but had I wanted him too it would have been a layup.  I waited another 10 minutes for the does to leave but they wouldn't and light was starting to go so I had to bust them off which I hated to do but they have an entire year now to forget me so no biggie I don't think.

Happy new year all.  Good hunting to those still chasing these last days.    
Thanks given by:
what an exciting hunt! congratulations!
Thanks given by:
I'd be quite happy to take a deer like that... Congrats on a fine ending to the season!
Thanks given by:
Congrats man.. nice one.
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
congrats man nice story too
Thanks given by:
Great deer and way to persevere to the end. Gives some of us some hope for the last couple of days.
Thanks given by:
Nice work. Good end to season.
Thanks given by:
Awesome! Way to seal the deal close to end of the season
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Right on!
Thanks given by:
Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by: