Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 2020 Longbeard Season
As most of you know, I PCS transferred to Nebraska so this was my first spring Turkey Season. I can't complain, I had a heck of a season. 3 Toms and 1 Coyote. This year I started off with my Beretta 12 Gauge and then switched back over to my Viper G2 with Holosun, still shooting Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend. I'm still using the Warbird calls and were the undoing of all three birds.

Gobbler 3, 23.8 lbs, 10.8" beard, 1.5" spurs.
[Image: 49927630822_970c715e95_c.jpg]
[Image: 49902834267_266cbc6632_c.jpg]

Coyote 1, shot off my muzzle at about 3ft.
[Image: 49901999633_d61efa4ea0_c.jpg]

Gobbler 2, 19 lbs, 10" beard and and 1/25 spurs.
[Image: 49926778978_8d7a5ae6a6_c.jpg]

Gobbler 1, 18.3 lbs, 5.2" beard and .75" spurs.
[Image: 49902012448_0355fc6c1a_c.jpg]

I can't complain as I had an awesome season.
[Image: 49902056523_fe93e4a748_c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Great job squid, congratulations. Tell us more about the coyote harvest story.
Zebco Pro-Staff rolling
Thanks given by:
Living a charmed life for sure! Great job Squid!
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:

Thanks given by:
Carcass, I loaded this video for you. Originally, I only had it on FB. I got up at 4am, and was at the property by 5am so I could sneak in under dark. I was hunting a timber line with a massive creek separating a very large corn field from the Timber. about 6am it was visible light and two longbeards were on fire. Gobbling at everything. They flew down first, landing in the cornfield. I'm trying to figure out how to work them to me without them getting hung up on the creek. Luckily, the hens flew down on my side. I let out some yelps and the Gobblers were on fire. Hens were moving in on my clucking
and purring.

There was a crash in the brush and turkeys were going crazy. Flying in every direction. A group of Coyotes had rushed the birds from my right. I caught movement in my peripheral movement, to the right and slightly behind me at 25 to 30 ft. A coyote was closing on me at a dead run. I swung my shotgun to the right just in time to blow out the Coyotes neck. It was DRT at my feet.

(05-16-2020, 07:44 PM)Carcass Wrote: Great job squid, congratulations. Tell us more about the coyote  harvest story.

Thanks given by:
Great season and enjoy your time out there!!
Thanks given by:
cool story Squid. do you think he was he trying to jump on you or just passing by you very closely as he headed to the turkeys? great job on the kill shot, too bad he messed up your chance at those turkeys.
Zebco Pro-Staff rolling
Thanks given by:
(05-17-2020, 02:57 PM)Carcass Wrote: cool story Squid.  do you think he was he trying to jump on you or just passing by you very closely as he headed to the turkeys?  great job on the kill shot, too bad he messed up your chance at those turkeys.

He was coming right for me. I'm thinking he watched my head move left to right, hearing the calls and thought he had a Turkey trapped in the grass. You could see the panic in his face when I started to swing the shotgun towards him. It was a great hunt so I can't complain. I ended up tagging out so it was all good.
Thanks given by:
fantastic!
Zebco Pro-Staff rolling
Thanks given by:
(05-16-2020, 08:06 PM)HeidelbergJaeger Wrote: Living a charmed life for sure! Great job Squid!

Thank you my brother. I"m ready for the DoD travel restriction to lift. I missed Oklahoma Turkey season and the last couple of pig hunts. I"m ready to get back in the game. LOL
Thanks given by: