Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
breaking in the 357 mold
First I cleaned the mold, then added extra tin to the mix.
[Image: aE9RdAT.jpg]

[Image: by2Dyku.jpg]

Then I ran about 20 bullets to warm the mold up

[Image: U60NjWm.jpg]

Then I water dropped a few to harden them. The next batch should come out fine.

[Image: hEdQRup.jpg]

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
Cool process.
Thanks given by:
It's interesting anyway Brandon. The base is sharp and clean which is the most important part, and it casts at 356 plus a tad. I don't need to lap the mold.

No seam which means the halves are matching.

The wrinkles are from the mold being too cool.

If I get time tomorrow, I'll cast a couple hundred and lube them.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
That is cool. I wonder if those would fire out of a .357 air rife? Hmmmm....
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2015, 10:01 PM)Squid Wrote: That is cool.  I wonder if those would fire out of a .357 air rife?  Hmmmm....

They will Squid.
These are 120 grains. I'll hollow point a few to see how they hold up.

If you need them larger, you lap the mold by coating the cavity with non embedding lapping compound, screwing a headless screw in the rear of a bullet and clamping it in the mold. Spin the bullet with an electric drill.

If you need smaller, run it through a twenty dollar sizing die.

Thanks given by:
(03-17-2015, 10:16 PM)peternap Wrote: They will Squid.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Hmmmm. I don't have the Benjamin Bulldog .357 yet, but I should very soon. I may hire your services for some custom hollow points. Ha ha.
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2015, 10:19 PM)Squid Wrote:
(03-17-2015, 10:16 PM)peternap Wrote: They will Squid.
Now that's what I'm talking about.  Hmmmm.  I don't have the Benjamin Bulldog .357 yet, but I should very soon.  I may hire your services for some custom hollow points.  Ha ha.
It's hard to believe squid...but you have to be licensed by ATF to cast for others. Even give aways.
But I know plenty of licensees so we can work something out.

Thanks given by:
(03-17-2015, 10:30 PM)peternap Wrote: It's hard to believe squid...but you have to be licensed by ATF to cast for others. Even give aways.
But I know plenty of licensees so we can work something out.
Holy crap, that's crazy. I would have never imagined. So if the case are used out of an air rifle at 900 fps, you still have to have an ATF license? LOL The way things are going I will need a license to use air pumps just to compress air.

If licensing isn't too much trouble, I would like to get some 90-110 grain hollow points for big game hunting. I plan on busting some pigs with it. I plan to shoot them out of this.

.357 Bulldog

[Image: Benjamin-Bulldog-Safari-87-300x201.jpg]

Thank you, Sir.
Thanks given by:
Yep...pretty silly. They look at manufacturing components the same as manufacturing loaded ammo.

Thanks given by: