Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyman slug testing
I'm going to be using a shotgun some during the deer season this year. I have a couple of short range stands I see turkey from consistently, so I'm going to take my double Ithaca with a slug in the left barrel and shot in the right.

I've cast the Lyman 525 slugs for years. Loaded them backwards for super hollow points, with 45 caliber balls hot glued in the hollow, the hollow filled with hot glue and magnum loads, etc....but never as they were intended.
Yesterday I did some experimenting and using bluedot and waa wads, was able to get 1 inch groups at 50 yards.
I thought I could improve on that a tad today but rebuilt a carburetor, then had some blood clotting and ended up in the emergency room.....again.

Anyway, if I don't get back to it, that load out of the left barrel of a smooth barrel suits the hell out of me.
Great slugs for non magnum loads.
Oh, they shot considerably better from crimped hulls than rolled which is the opposite I've found with full bore slugs.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hear you were back at the hospital.

Sounds like you created a slug that will work great. I would be happy with 1 inch groups at 50 yards out of a smooth bore
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2015, 10:31 PM)Thummy Wrote: Sorry to hear you were back at the hospital.

Sounds like you created a slug that will work great.  I would be happy with 1 inch groups at 50 yards out of a smooth bore

That particular slug seems to work better out of smoothbores than rifled thummy. The weak spot is the skirt which will blow if you push it too hard.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
Hope you're on the mend Don
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys but I'm getting used to the ER. Wasn't a big deal considering anyway blood clots plugging up all the plumbing I'm hooked to and a new prescription for the infection they gave me.

BTW the testing on these loads was with the gun locked in a lead sled.
I checked the zero on my ML 10 too so it's ready for muzzleloader loading season.

I still have to sight in my 270. I'm not sure I want to use the bigger guns this year.

Thanks given by: