Virginia Hunting Forum
HeidelbergJaeger and Thummy - Printable Version

+- Virginia Hunting Forum (https://www.vahuntingforum.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.vahuntingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.vahuntingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: HeidelbergJaeger and Thummy (/showthread.php?tid=7316)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

HeidelbergJaeger and Thummy - peternap - 07-19-2015

You all may enjoy this. The anti gun faction won't though.

http://tinyurl.com/p99rbsk

Man armed with AR-15 stands guard at Virginia military recruiting offices
By Emily Miller, FOX 5 Chief Investigative Reporter

WINCHESTER, Va. - The horrific murder of four Marines in Chattanooga showed the vulnerability of military recruitment centers. They are in public locations, and by law, they are “gun free zones” -- meaning the military that are there are not allowed to carry their weapons.

As the country realized the Marines that were killed were unarmed at the recruiting center, people have started showing up to provide security.

At 8 a.m. Friday morning, one man decided to spend his day off standing guard outside of a military recruitment center in Winchester, Virginia.

He is not worried about another attack like Chattanooga here. But he is making a statement.

“People need to call their congressman, they need to call their senators and they need to change these laws that are on the books so these guys can protect themselves so a regular old citizen doesn't have to go out and do it,” he told us.

The man asked to remain unidentified, but he said when he heard about the four Marines killed by a terrorist in Tennessee, he thought, “Here we go again.”

“It’s fundamental Muslim extremism,” he said. “They declared war on us and we seem to not put it in perspective and realizing that the war is here.”

The military has been grateful for the symbolic support.

“I went into each office, the ones that were open, and I was received with handshakes and thank yous,” he said. “They constantly came by, and not only them, but their wives came by in tears thanking me for just being out here. They baked cookies for me and brought lunch by.”

You don't need a permit to openly carry guns in Virginia.

“The police already came by and checked me out, cleared my guns, doing their duty,” said the man. “It was all good.”

We went to two other Virginia Marine recruiting centers and found no change in security since the Chattanooga shootings.

A Marine recruiting center in Chantilly was shot at through the windows one night back in 2010. No one was injured. It was not open when we got there on Friday. It sits openly on a strip mall just like the one in Chattanooga.

But the two warning signs on the door showed the conflict the military faces now.

Bravo -- that is the warning about a heightened threat against military in the United States by the terrorist ISIS group.

Right next to it was a warning sign stating no firearms or weapons allowed inside.

A Marine recruiting center in Fairfax is not visible from the street. But you can’t miss the weapons prohibited sign on the door. The Marines working here are not allowed to have their weapons at work.

“We need to know what our rights are and not let anyone take them away,” said the man in front of the Winchester recruiting center. “Too people died for these freedoms. I’ve never been in the military. I never served as law enforcement, but I certainly am grateful for those men and women who have died in past to secure those freedoms.

——

Here is an article on the “no guns” sign on recruiting center doors:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/07/16/a-lot-of-people-have-noticed-the-small-sign-on-the-front-of-one-of-the-buildings-attacked-in-tennessee-and-its-sparking-a-huge-debate/

or

http://tinyurl.com/ojc9q52

——

And another article on the gun-ban that leaves our brave military members vulnerable to attack:

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/07/16/nbcs-jacobs-military-offices-are-vulnerable-not-armed-cant-protect-selves

RE: HeidelbergJaeger and Thummy - Thummy - 07-19-2015

I was out mowing my grass Friday evening. I stopped and was thinking how great of an idea it would be. When I took a break I got on FB and saw a post about it. I looked on line for stations near me. They would have been closed before I could get there and I had a memorial service to attend yesterday. It is a great idea. I am sure plenty of people are pissed about it

RE: HeidelbergJaeger and Thummy - HeidelbergJaeger - 07-19-2015

Thanks Peternap, I used to only see CodePink outside my RS, but this would have been welcome, although illegal where I recruited in San Jose, CA.

RE: HeidelbergJaeger and Thummy - peternap - 07-20-2015

RIGELL URGES PENTAGON TO ALLOW MILITARY TO CARRY WEAPONS TO WORKPLACE

BY BILL BARTEL
VIRGINIAN-PILOT (METERED PAYWALL - 10 ARTICLES A MONTH)

In the wake of the murder of four Marines in Chattanooga, Tenn., on Thursday, U.S. Rep. Scott Rigell has organized a congressional effort to press the Pentagon to allow military personnel to carry concealed firearms to and from defense installations. “My gut sense is the American people want to know what we are doing to give their sons and daughters at least the highest probability... that they can go to work in uniform and come home safe,” Rigell said Friday. “We aren’t doing enough right now

RE: HeidelbergJaeger and Thummy - Thummy - 07-20-2015

I don't see it happening, but it sure would be nice if it did.

(07-20-2015, 09:19 AM)Thummy Wrote: I don't see it happening, but it sure would be nice if it did.

Actually, I do see it happening. It will be wrapped up in the usual government red tape and BS, but this is a political hot potato.
People authorized will be trained, screened, have to carry with empty chambers...on and on....but even the airlines can have a gun.

Oh there will be a lot of red tape

Active duty carrying on US soil. So in the case of recruiters, do they need to have concealed carry permits in the states that require them? Then there is the whole, what weapons will they carry? Recruiting stations don't have the type of security needed to lock up military (government) weapons over night. Soldiers also can NOT take military/government weapons home to their homes. So where are they stored? Then it comes down to being able to carry personal weapons. That creates a whole different issue. Goes back to do they need a permit to carry or not if they are in a state that requires one? What are states like NY, NJ, CA or MD going to do?

It is going to be a mess.

(07-20-2015, 09:43 AM)Thummy Wrote: Oh there will be a lot of red tape

Active duty carrying on US soil.  So in the case of recruiters, do they need to have concealed carry permits in the states that require them?  Then there is the whole, what weapons will they carry?  Recruiting stations don't have the type of security needed to lock up military (government) weapons over night.  Soldiers also can NOT take military/government weapons home to their homes.  So where are they stored?  Then it comes down to being able to carry personal weapons.  That creates a whole different issue.  Goes back to do they need a permit to carry or not if they are in a state that requires one?  What are states like NY, NJ, CA or MD going to do?  

It is going to be a mess.
Thankfully, the problem is partly solved here, at least for people like recruiters living off base. I've met a lot of active duty personnel, in uniform, ccing.
I sold a gun to one a few months ago I met him at a gas station on the south side and was OCing my Glock. He looked at the shotgun, paid for it and asked what model I was carrying.
He was in uniform and pulled up the edge to show his and said, model 17.

Probably against regulations, but they're doing it.

Yeah if he works on a base some where then it wasn't legal.

That reminds me of a story actually. When I was up at an Army base that I wont name, I was bringing a couple of my guns there. I lived on base and needed to register them to be stored in my on base housing. I went over to the office to fill out the paperwork. They gave me all the paperwork and the guy says....So fill this out and then have your commander verify the serial numbers. Then bring the paperwork back and we will do the paperwork and give you the registration cards. I said...So I can't bring the guns on base till you give me the cards correct? He says Yes you have to have the cards to bring them on base. I said well how exactly do I bring the guns on base to have my commander verify the serial numbers if I can bring them on base without the cards and you wont give me the cards till I have this paper signed by my commander. That guy looked at me all kinds of stupid cross eyed. I spent 15-20 minutes trying to explain how stupid this whole thing was and figuring out what I needed to do.

I had to bring the guns with me when I came back from visiting my parents on Sunday. Take them to my house on one part of the base passing through a gate. Then Monday morning I had to drive to another part of the base and go through a gate. At both gates I risked being stopped and having my vehicle searched, which would be a problem. So after what was probably 30 minutes total I left and said I would figure it out.

Luckily I knew the commander of the unit that was guarding the gates. I explained the situation to him. He was sitting with the Civilian police officers that worked on base and they all said....hold on we need to get this fixed. So he gave me a card and asked when I would be coming in. He said he would notify the gate guards and if they forgot to have them call him. I had no issues but that shows how stupid the government/military can be.

RE: HeidelbergJaeger and Thummy - HeidelbergJaeger - 07-20-2015

Just received a briefing from the CG of the intelligence center of excellence and ft. Huachuca. Commanders at all levels that I have heard from are not supporting this measure, and believe that there is a very high probability of negligent discharges should something like this come to pass.

Probably a very real fear is that there are mentally fragile Soldiers who are not resilient to adversity, and as evidenced in the latest fort hood shooting, sometimes people take drastic actions when they don't get their way.