Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food plot in the works
Now you are getting into the, as you put it, the roll the dice phase of food plotting! So, you'll have this gap between the time the buckwheat expires and when you want to plant your fall crop. Weeds might be a problem. I think you have to think about that. There's a possibility the buckwheat will set pods and burst, throwing more seed onto the ground to start the cycle all over again. Not the worst thing that might happen. It's a two edged sword. If the new seed germinates it might keep the weed bed in check. On the other hand, it might be in the way when it comes to fall seeding. I don't know how you feel about spraying, but an option might be to spray your plot with glyphosate a couple times to kill the weed growth before fall. Without some kind of control you'll just be adding to the soil weed seed bank.

I guess I would till the soil before planting again - even if the clover is respectable. White Dutch is nice, but it's not forever. You want your fall planting to be the attraction. I'm not married to tillage, but seed-to-soil contact is essential for good and proper germination. You can throw rye on a rock and it will grow. My experience with oats leads me to tell you they need to be IN the soil. Once you get better at this you might come up with some ideas about how to minimize tillage.

Good luck!
Thanks given by:
DM looking good so far. It is great learning and working your own land! Keep us posted!!
NorryDan some good info thanks for sharing all your knowledge!
I'm using Whitetail institute products now, experimented with others when I lived back in Jersey but like Whitetail institute products, been around a long time, focused solely on deer and do a ton of research. It does cost more but I've been much happier with their products
I have a couple small plots and strips I started working last year, I planted one in Whitetail institute tall tine tubers(turnips) which grew great but couldn't keep them out so didn't develop much large turnips. I did shot my 10 pointer last year headed to it.
Planted a strip in their Whitetail clover which is doing great this summer and this spring planted a strip of their fusion which is chickory and clover and that is looking good.
Started a second smaller plot this spring I planted buckwheat (for turkeys and bear) like you preparing area for a fall plot. it's only 30 yds by 20 but then will also have a small strip 5 yds by 40 yds.

Lime, fertilizer, sun and water are big keys for sure

Good luck guys
Vice President Peidmont Chapter NWTF, Proud member of NRA
Thanks given by:
Video 
These three have been regulars lately and hopefully I get to watch them progress through the summer. Two of them look like they might have some potential. There are a couple bigger bucks in the area but I don't see them as often as these guys. Also have a few tiny fawns, maybe a week or two old at this point, which my boys love to see. 

[Image: 102867203_10223617639576166_561088995351...e=5F0D5F77]

I ordered seed for this AUG/SEP (winter rye, oats, crimson clover) and also picked up some of that 'Fixation Balansa Clover', which I tossed down today just to see what happens. It was cheap so I figured I'd give it a shot. Have a great weekend all!
Thanks given by:
Thoughts on when I should disc the plot and plant for fall? Buckwheat is done, dutch clover is doing alright, and some weeds starting to pop up now.
Thanks given by:
You don't want to plant much of anything aimed at fall before Labor Day, give or take depending on your schedule and weather / precipitation outlooks. Me, i'd keep the disc parked. The more you disc the more weed seeds you are likely to bring to the surface. The weeds growing there now are no threat IF (IF I COULD MAKE THAT BIGGER I WOULD), IF you keep the seed heads knocked off. Anyhow, some of those weeds are probably very tasty from a deer's perspective. One of the greatest buck bachelor groups I ever captured on a trail camera was snapped in late July / early August in a weed covered clover plot. A week after I mowed the plot- and never got another deer picture from it all summer.
Thanks given by:
Thanks and that'll be the plan...watch forecasts after Labor Day and go from there. If I do use the disk it'll be light passes, for the reasons you pointed out. When the time comes to plant do you think all 3 fall varieties should go down at once, or should the clover go down a little earlier/later? From what I've read I want the clover to take, but not get too far along, before winter sets in...if we even have a winter. Just kind of holding tight with what I have now and I'll post updates once the next phase comes around. Thanks again for the input, very helpful for sure!
Thanks given by:
(07-20-2020, 09:51 AM)Dmharvey79 Wrote: Thanks and that'll be the plan...watch forecasts after Labor Day and go from there. If I do use the disk it'll be light passes, for the reasons you pointed out. When the time comes to plant do you think all 3 fall varieties should go down at once, or should the clover go down a little earlier/later? From what I've read I want the clover to take, but not get too far along, before winter sets in...if we even have a winter. Just kind of holding tight with what I have now and I'll post updates once the next phase comes around. Thanks again for the input, very helpful for sure!

I think most observations / studies / anecdotal evidence about varying seed planting times to achieve particularly human purposes would indicate most attempts fail.  Mother Nature will be determining all of that.  Don't get you hopes too high for a clover oasis this fall.  Its a give or take, but it usually takes, on average, 30-days for white clovers to germinate.  So, plant Sept 1.  You might see some germination October 1 leaving about six weeks for the clover to "grow up" before the dark days of early winter hit.  Then it sits, all-the-while, the other seed crops are providing it some protection.  Along comes spring, a cool season just like fall, and the clover rockets to maturity.  April, May, part of June.  Then, it gets hot and dry.  The clover hibernates for awhile.  With the shortening of days toward the end of August come cooler temperatures and, along with some rain, Thor the God of clover takes over and the deer are swinging from the trees!  Or, that's my story and I'm sticking to it until I wrote another post with contradicting information....LOL?
Thanks given by: Dmharvey79
I would plant late August. Get it in so it has time to get that rain we almost always get at Labor Day. Then you should have stuff coming up for archery season. It also really depends on what you are planting. Purple top turnips and stuff like that need some time to grow. That is all based off a lot of research I have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by: Dmharvey79
Smile 
Plot twist (no pun intended)...going to continue with the food plot as I have everything on hand and I plan to hunt this fall, but my wife and I are looking to move back to Michigan at some point in the foreseeable future. We want to be closer to family/friends and it looks like we can cut living expenses by over 40% while I only see a 5-10% pay cut. At that rate we can get a nice house and I can get around 80 acres of really nice hunting property in Northern Michigan with thousands of acres of state land in the area, where I grew up hunting. Our current place is amazing, log home tucked away in the woods with great hunting right out the front door, but I think we've had our fill of Virginia (mainly NOVA).

If anybody is interested in a cool place with land that is still within commuting distance to the NOVA area shoot me a message and I'll let you know if/when we list it. It'll be hard to let this place go but all things considered it just makes sense to relocate at some point. I'll continue to post updates on the food plot and I'm seeing several REALLY nice bucks on trail cams, as well as some huge bears (500+ pounds), so hopefully my boy and I have a good season this fall. With any luck this will be his first deer...

[Image: 117715408_791863371556474_52680455240344...e=5F607FDE]

Take care all!  Smile
Thanks given by:
Good luck to you and your boy, that will be a nice first buck! Sorry to see you go!
Let me know where you are located, might be interested and if not have someone who is.
Vice President Peidmont Chapter NWTF, Proud member of NRA
Thanks given by: