Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New dog (Plott Hound, Pit Bull/Lab, mix breed)
Last Saturday, my wife and I found a nice 1yr old male dog named "Reggie" at the local SPCA in town. As seen in the title of this thread, he is (according to the SPCA) 1/2 purebred Plott Hound, 1/2 Pit Bull, or maybe a little touch of Labrador Retriever. He's awesome, very friendly, and instantly bonded with my wife and I. He does have a very deep "Woof" type of bark and will instantly alert us of any danger.

At 1 year old, he is already 58 pounds and full of energy. Anyone have a dog like this, or ever seen a dog like this?

The main SPCA photo:
[Image: OocUs8N.jpg]

My wife Margaret feeding "Reggie" some kibble from her hand at the SPCA:
[Image: jL0YRJy.jpg]

Chilled out, relaxed, and falling asleep in my music room on the carpet in my house...
[Image: 0dfnrvm.jpg]

After 1 week so far:
Apparently, "Reggie" decided to assume ownership of a reclining lawn chair out by our outdoor patio? Seriously?!? He has made himself at home, well adjusted from the SPCA, and is one heck of a great dog!  Cool
[Image: JREasGG.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I would LOVE to take him out hunting, but as they say with his main, dominant, breed (Plott Hound)... You never EVER let them off a leash, 'cause they'll be gone, and I mean G-O-N-E... What do you think?
Thanks given by:
Awesome. Congrats.

Hard to say what he will do. It all depends on how well he listens to you and comes when called. If you are letting him off leash you better have a GPS on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by: ButchA
Thanks... He has that Microchip in his skin by his neck, and it's registered with 24PetWatch or something like that. But still, a GPS collar and smartphone App would be the best thing -- IF -- I decided to take him out into the woods.
Thanks given by:
That was what I was taking about. You best have a GPS collar on him.

I won’t let our dogs out without a leash. We have a Blue Tick and a Walker hound mix. Well we thing she is Walker hound mix. Will find out soon. We adopted her and my wife wanted to do the DNA to find out exactly what she was so that was her birthday present.

The Blue Tick was 4 when we got him as his 3rd owner. He is awesome but he will haul ass and be gone if we let him off leash.

cool colors in his fur. congrats on your new buddy.
Thank you...  Reggie won't "retrieve" like a Lab normally would.  Okay, yeah, he'll chase after a tennis ball or whatever is out there, but then he'll stop, turn around and look at you like, "Come on, old man... You want it? Come and get it.." and then he'll race around the backyard at 100 mph, doing everything possible, every NFL running back "deke"...  And, if you decide to chase after him, well then, that just enhances it even more...

What a character!! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(06-22-2021, 02:58 PM)ButchA Wrote: Thank you...  Reggie won't "retrieve" like a Lab normally would.  Okay, yeah, he'll chase after a tennis ball or whatever is out there, but then he'll stop, turn around and look at you like, "Come on, old man... You want it? Come and get it.." and then he'll race around the backyard at 100 mph, doing everything possible, every NFL running back "deke"...  And, if you decide to chase after him, well then, that just enhances it even more...

What a character!! Big Grin

kids and pets make us feel young but remind us that we're getting old. LOL Big Grin
Butch. Sounds like my hounds. If you throw a ball they will run to it, smell it and then look at you.

They don’t care about bringing anything back to you.

we have a rescue dog that looks identical to him except ours has an over bite. He was rescued from Puerto Rico.
they said hound/boxer. We did the DNA test and it came out, Rottweiler, Presa Canrio, Bull Dog, Stratfordshire terrier and Chow Chow.
I'll get a picture and post later. Our's is a great dog, sons best friend.
Good luck with yours!!
Vice President Peidmont Chapter NWTF, Proud member of NRA