Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tree stands
I got into the Fairfax County Archery program. One of the requirements is that shots must be taken from above ground, meaning some sort of tree stand.

I have never hunted in a tree stand before as I don't generally consider it "sporting" and I have always been more about being outside than actually shooting any deer.

That said, I bought 3 stands because there's a lot of land to cover and I have no idea which I'll like. I bought a two person ladder stand, a hang on, and a climber. The obvious pros and cons are, well, obvious. Can you folks give me any insight as to the less obvious pros and cons?

Any suggestions/recommendations for a new stand hunter?
Thanks given by:
IMO the hang on is just a pain bc you have to have steps hung plus the stand. The ladder and the climber are great depending on how you wana hunt, a steady trail or be mobil.

Best advice I can give is to put them up now and sit in them and clear good shooting lanes so the deer will be used to them. Other then that I can think of right now.
Thanks given by: frankp
As said, the hang on is a pain.
The ladder stand is more comfortable but semi permanent. I leave mine up all year.
The climber is an opportunity stand you carry with you.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
That 2 person ladder stand will be a pain to put up on your own.

In the park program the climber is probably the best bet. Practice with it as much as you can now. They take some practice and make sure you tie the two pieces together. If the bottom falls and trust me it will you are stuck.

I like hang one but they are the hardest to out up. You need a ladder because no screw in steps are allowed in the parks. Again they are the toughest to out up but the ones I like to hunt out of the most.

Easy to climb into as they don't make as much noise as a climber. They allow you to get higher then most ladder stands
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
What type of climber did you get? If it's a Summit Viper you couldn't get a safer climber. You will love it in no time. Just take it to any oak, hickory or gum and practice some before you go out in the dark that first morning. I have three Summit Climbers all different models and friends are envious.
(08-27-2015, 07:09 PM)frankp Wrote: I got into the Fairfax County Archery program. One of the requirements is that shots must be taken from above ground, meaning some sort of tree stand.

I have never hunted in a tree stand before as I don't generally consider it "sporting" and I have always been more about being outside than actually shooting any deer.

That said, I bought 3 stands because there's a lot of land to cover and I have no idea which I'll like. I bought a two person ladder stand, a hang on, and a climber. The obvious pros and cons are, well, obvious. Can you folks give me any insight as to the less obvious pros and cons?

Any suggestions/recommendations for a new stand hunter?
Thummy is spot on about tying the 2 pieces together. Reminds me of when I got my first climbing stand several years back. I didn't practice with any, just took out put on a tree climbed up pulled up my bow and jarred the bottom piece loose. As it went clanging to the ground I thought I was going to have a long night. Good thing I was scared of heights because I probably wasn't 12ft off the ground. And they was a small sapling within reaching distance also. Anyways I sit still for a while and hunted then shimmied down the sapling found a long tree limb on the ground and knocked the upper half down. I always make sure that string is tied on all my climbers now. live and learn.
Which one you use may depend on your personal goals and the situation. Ladder stand is going to be more permanent, so you may have less success seeing deer the more you use it. In addition, other hunters will find your spot and use your ladder. Climber is a great tool to stay mobile and use surprise to your advantage. Hang-ons could be utilized as a permanent or mobile. Hang-ons will be generally be quieter and allow you to setup in trees that aren't perfect. With climbers you have to hunt for trees sometimes and hang-ons let you hunt the right spot.

Here's a tip from me messing up with a climber. When you get settled into a tree make sure you draw and can shoot below you. If i setup with my top piece too high (the most comfortable for me) I risk the lower limb of my bow hitting the bar when shooting at close range/steep elevation type shot. If your climber doesn't have the shooting bar in front you won't have that issue though.

Good luck!
Safety tip. ..wear a good harness. I don't wear one a lot of times but I always do in my climber.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
That is a great tip peternap. I know of a neighbor, a friend, and a coworker that have fallen out of tree stands. The coworker is now paralyzed. It only takes a moment to change the rest of your life.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advice everyone. The stands all came with harnesses and I most definitely will be using it, no matter which stand I'm in. I'm planning to practice with the climber and throw up the hang on just to make sure I know how to set it properly.
Thanks given by: