Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Muzzle loaders for dummies
well mainly for me anyways. I am interested in learning more about them, average cost with a scope and ready to hunt. Any favorites or flops that a newbie should be aware of?
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
I got my first one a couple years ago. CVA Optima. Not real expensive and easy to use. I threw a Nikon scope on it. Worst part is trying to figure out what primer, bullet, sabot, and powder it likes.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I been hunting with them for more than 15 years and have used a knight disc till now.  Just bought a CVA Accura and have a Leupld 3x9x40 on order.  I plan to use blackhorn 209 powder, CCI Primers, and Barnes 250 bullets at first.  I will let you known once I shoot to see how it likes this.  CVA has a special breech plug for shooting lose power like blackhorn so I also have that on order to.  I liked the shorter 25 inch barrel of them the MR Accura.  I don't like shouldering barrel heavy guns.  There are plenty good options.  I considered the triump, strike, and pro hunter from Thompson center and the newer knights but I likEd the a the Accura
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2017, 08:09 PM)Tecgunner Wrote: I been hunting with them for more than 15 years and have used a knight disc till now.  Just bought a CVA Accura and have a Leupld 3x9x40 on order.  I plan to use blackhorn 209 powder, CCI Primers, and Barnes 250 bullets at first.  I will let you known once I shoot to see how it likes this.  CVA has a special breech plug for shooting lose power like blackhorn so I also have that on order to.  I liked the shorter 25 inch barrel of them the MR Accura.  I don't like shouldering barrel heavy guns.  There are plenty good options.  I considered the triump, strike, and pro hunter from Thompson center and the newer knights but I likEd the a the Accura

I have the same setup as well, the blackhorn speed breech maybe a little touchy, as in when you screw it in you have to have it just right or you can't cock it. Also make sure to use the magnum primers

As far as a first ml, an optima or wolf is perfect
Thanks given by:
Heidi check out Muzzleloaders. Com. That way you can look at all of them and compare and reviews, deals and combos are pretty good to
Thanks given by:
Like the others said the optima and several other lower cost guns are very good for the money.  The must haves for a low cost gun should be... 209 primer and easy to remove breech plug.  You have to keep the breech of a muzzleloader clean so easy removal is a huge plus.
Thanks given by:
Thanks folks I will start looking into CVA and what they offer. Are most muzzle loaders .50 cal or are .45 common as well?

Do you find that it's better to order online or are they considered firearms and require a background check and ATF 4473?
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
You can order online without background check, and my opinion I'd stick with 50 cal
Thanks given by:
Ordering online is likely the best price.  Just check in stores to see what you like.  50cal is the only way to go.
Thanks given by:
CVA 50 cal. Good, accurate, affordable. And I have a new Nikon ML scope I'll let you have for a steal.
Thanks given by: