Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun safes
Looking to get 2 mid size fire resistant safes @40 long gun cap. for gun and ammo storage. What are you guys using? Have been you tubing. It seems about all of them are vulnerable but the average smash and grab thief doesn't carry grinders and multiple pry bars. I figure at least first level security could help.
Folgers field tester, Quilted Northern Prostaff
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2018, 09:52 AM)Warbird Calls Wrote: Looking to get 2 mid size fire resistant safes @40 long gun cap. for gun and ammo storage. What are you guys using? Have been you tubing. It seems about all of them are vulnerable but the average smash and grab thief doesn't carry grinders and multiple pry bars. I figure at least first level security could help.

good you are at least going into it with your eyes open. These gun safes are not safes they are residential security lockers. real safes start at 5k for one about 24x24x24 higher end liberty safes that are 24x48x72 top out around 5-6k. but they are better than nothing. so any 'gun safe" is better than none.

i'd recommend a mid level(just above entry level) browning or liberty safe with a dial lock not an electronic lock. best security measure you can use is bolting it to the floor whether that is on wood or concrete. also depending on joist depth you may need to reinforce the floor. particularly if you put it against a wall that the joists run parallel to(safe would then be supported by only on or two joists instead of approx 4 at their strongest point near the bearing).

if its not bolted down i bet i could roll it out of your house with a box of #2 pencils or other stuff i find lying around your house.
Thanks given by:
It's concrete basement.
Thanks given by:
Theyll go in on 1" hickory dowels lol. Lot easier than carrying for sure.
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2018, 10:34 AM)Warbird Calls Wrote: Theyll go in on 1" hickory dowels lol. Lot easier than carrying for sure.

then definitely HILTI bolt them in place. i put a rubber mat between mine and the concrete to act as a vapor barrier. yeah using larger dowels or even pvc pipe like 2" will get you over your door sills then step back down to 1" once you are inside.
Thanks given by:
for a basement safe; I suggest two additional factors, moisture control (humidifier) and flood or high water control around door seals.

Thanks given by:
(01-09-2018, 04:52 PM)BAY BEAGLE Wrote: for a basement safe;  I suggest two additional factors, moisture control (humidifier) and flood or high water control around door seals.

I'll most likely wire them for dryer..Like golden rod or similar. I don't have flood thread. If water gets in my basement it's time just to jump in and get it over with lol. Anchor bolts to concrete at least m12 or 16. Id considered getting one large one but leaning towards separating ammo from guns. I've got a friend who built his vault into basement with cinderblock and some sort of fire barrier. Might check out his setup before jumping on something.
Thanks given by: