Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now what? Next year?
Anybody have some end of season hunting related stuff to do?
I already got my trail cams, washed and organized and stored all my hunting clothes/pack/boots, etc (last season it sat in dirty laundy until I washed it prior to archery this year!). Need to take down 1, maybe 2 treestands. Will probably make it a squirrel hunt day when I do it. Need to put final end of season cleaning on guns. Getting euroed skull back in Feb, so if they dont have a nice piece of wood backing, I will do that.
What plans do you all have for next season?
As for next season, I dont really need anything gear wise between now and then, but I am strongly considering a cell service trail cam. I will probably wait until mid archery season to hang my stands based on sign at that point in time (usually do that in Aug/Sept but will hold off next season because I had a few stands that went cold once season came in). I can use climber and/ground hunt until then.

Already counting the days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I’ve ordered a ladder stand that i hope to install within the next couple of months. In the meantime, I’ve been working on trying to tan my bobcat pelt. I removed the claws and put them in a string and am drying them out in borax. I boiled down and bleached the skull yesterday. It was a lot of work by hand since I don’t have a power washer, but i got it done with pliers and scissors and a knife. And my tanned hide is drying slowly. I have to stretch and massage it to make it soft after it dries. I hope it’s successful after I put so much time and effort into tanning it. I’m concerned that i didn’t flesh it right and will end up with some rot. Time will tell.
Zebco Pro-Staff rolling
Thanks given by:
I hear hide tanning is hard, I've never tried it. I've paid to have a few done though including and albino deer.
What kind of stand did you get. I have 2 ladder stands but they both have hard metal mesh seats (with a pad) and the small foot platform. I have promised myself any new stands I buy will have the large foot platform and a nice seat with backrest like the millenium tree seats.
You putting it up on your property in Nelson is it?

Thanks given by:
I am still hunting. Got my spot in MD to hunt till the end of the month. Then back to VA for the late antlerless season up here in NOVA. Plus I need to see if I can get some waterfowling in.

Of course then it will be turkey season.

Probably around end of May I will pull my stands. I will be spending some time at the winery to find a perfect spot to hang a stand. Stands will get a good going over and new bolts where needed and some rattle can too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2020, 07:36 PM)publiclandhunter Wrote: I hear hide tanning is hard, I've never tried it.  I've paid to have a few done though including and albino deer.
What kind of stand did you get.  I have 2 ladder stands but they both have hard metal mesh seats (with a pad) and the small foot platform.  I have promised myself any new stands I buy will have the large foot platform and a nice seat with backrest like the millenium tree seats.
You putting it up on your property in Nelson is it?

Yes, Nelson. I bought the rivers edge re651 one-man lock-on.

Tanning is a lot of work. After killing the bobcat, i put in the freezer. I was going to do the salt tanning but Because i had froze it, the only way to thaw it without bacteria growing on it was to thaw it out in a pickling solution of water, salt, and acidic acid. Afterwards, i took my time skinning, fleshing, and soaking it in the pickle. Then, I soaked it in baking soda water and then washed with water and liquid dish detergent and rinsed it well. Towel dried it and then applied Store bought tanning oil and stored in refrigerator for 14 hours. It’s hanging and air drying in the garage for a couple of days. I hope to practice more on rabbits and squirrels next but you have to skin those immediately upon killing them for best results. I like the pickle method the best as you can take your time and start and finish whenever you want. I also sewed the bullet holes using a needle and dental floss, but i think i did it later in the process than i was supposed to. Fleshing was hard too because I didn’t flesh it immediately after skinning. And no matter how many youtub videos i watched, i couldn't figure out the right way to process ears.
Zebco Pro-Staff rolling
Thanks given by:
With this snow....I'll be out hunting in the morning! Taking advantage of later season to do some neighborhood population control and appease my neighbors Smile
Thanks given by:
I like to leave my cameras out for at least another month or so. Let's me get a good look at who survived and then later in Jan/early Feb I cans see when they are dropping antlers. Will scout a few new stand locations when I shed hunt in Feb/March and maybe move a stand or two. Other than that it's duck duck goose time and twiddling thumbs til turkey.
Thanks given by:
Like some of the other folks from NOVA area, I have some late season DMAP hunts coming up, so looking forward to those to extend my season and maybe get one more fat doe in the freezer. Pulled my trail cams from the Albemarle property last Fri/Sat of the season.
Will probably take down my one stand there to clean/inspect and replace any bolts etc. that may be showing signs of rust. Also have my eye on another ladder stand from Sportsman Warehouse ... and yeah, 2nd that vote for a larger foot platform!
Scouted a new stand location over the past season... just need to pick the 'perfect' tree in that area, but probably wont place the new stand until later in the summer.
And yes... Turkey season will be here soon enough. I had a flock fly up and roost in the trees directly behind me on the last day of deer season... I am always amazed at how noisy those suckers are when they're "flying" up/done to roost!
Thanks given by:
If you guys are cool with hang in’s Sportsman’s Guide has a big one that is great. 30x36 inch foot platform. I have a couple and they are great. Just need to get a good padded seat for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I am going to get my garage cleaned out, create wall /shelves and storage for my gear, clean equipment and try to get a head start on my bow being restrung and sighted in.
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by: