Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5-8-20 tagged out
i returned to my honey hole today--just wanted to get the third bird and be done with this challenging season. at sunrise, two birds close to each other were gobbling well on the roost. then, i heard a hen call and steal them away, never to be seen or heard from again. I stayed until about 12:30 when i saw a neighbor and his dog walking around on their field about 300 yards from me. I figured all hope was gone, so i packed up and left before the rain to went to my other small spot of land that has an rv the landowner allows me to sleep in and planned to stay the rainy night. Once i got to the new spot, it wasn't raining yet, but the wind was very gusty. I decided to hunt and picked a spot that i missed a bird last year, which was near the property line. I set decided to use my jake decoy instead of my hen decoy because if one comes in, i want to kill a fighter, not a lover. i set up and called, but nothing gobbled. I allowed myself to become distracted by my cellphone. a big gust of wind blew again and i heard a loud thump close by. I thought a tree branch had fallen out of a tree and looked up towards the noise only to realize that it was black tom with a bright red and white head that was beating up my decoy. He saw me lift my head and acted accordingly, ultimately never giving me a shot and fled. right then, i was distracted again by a noise on my left side. i looked down and saw that a 3 foot long black snake was slithering by. I waited a little while and then decided all hope was lost and gathered my gear to relocate. as i walked to my next spot, i saw the gobbler about 40 yards away, just across the neighbor's fence. I froze and saw him retreat and two hens with him cautiously walk by, following him back in the direction i had just been set up in. I wasn't sure what to do, but decided to go back downhill and pass the spot i had been set up and set up again in the bottom corner of my land, about 50 yards from my previous set up location. I put out my decoy and waited, never called. within 2 minutes, the tom arrived at my decoy and was giving him a mean stare-down and a couple of head pecks. I tried getting my gun up but was trying to be ever so cautious. He kept acting like he could see me but i wasn't sure. he was just very cautious and jerky in his movements. He didn't spend much time at the decoy and as he turned to walk away, i got my gun up and shot him in the back of his head. he flopped and was down. I ran over to step on his neck and he kicked and thrashed, tearing up my muck neoprene boots with his spurs and breaking the tip of one of his spurs. What a hunt, what a season!

he's my heaviest bird ever.
22 lbs 4 oz
11" beard
1 3/16" spurs
Thanks given by:

Thanks given by:
Nice job man.. way to hunt hard and finish it out

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
Comgrats. You put in the time and it has paid off. Thats a nice one too!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Congrats. That is awesome. I still haven’t heard a bird gobble. I have been out more this season than any past season too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Not much h going on where I've been past 2 days. Got 2 more days left for me to hunt, hope I can get it done
Thanks given by:
great job man!
Thanks given by:
Congrats! Maybe next year for me
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Awesome work carcass. Way to put the time in and fill the tags. Well done.
Thanks given by:
Nice year and good bird! Congrats
Vice President Peidmont Chapter NWTF, Proud member of NRA
Thanks given by: