Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many days does it take to get a bird?
How many days does it take to harvest a spring gobbler? I understand that one study states that it takes a hunter an average of 8 hunting days to harvest a spring gobbler. I kept record of my hunting days and was surprised to find it not far off. I hunted 20 days to get three birds. If I hadn't missed that one bird, it would've only taken me 16 days, but I guess the stats take misses into account as well. What has been your experience with the number of days to harvest?
Thanks given by:
I would say 8 is about right on average for me too.. although this year has been more.. I've hunted every day but 4 I think seen three die and one miss.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
Way more days of no gobbling than gobbling. Anymore it takes a grind and really the entire season to fill the tags. Unless of course you’re on prime dirt or just have a superb season. The days of the weekend warrior going out 2 Saturday’s a season and killing a bird are gone. You better make sure you pick the right days.
Thanks given by:
The pandemic cancelling baseball/softball season this year did allow me more hunting time. I hunted 8 days this year (10 counting with the kids on youth weekend). Heard gobbling 7 (9 including youth days). Was close enough to be "in the game" 4 times (5 counting youth). Killed 2.
Thanks given by:
Scouting is key, as well as hunting pressure on your location. Have those to scenarios in your arsenal, and multiple locations, you can get bird action almost daily. When you can`t, because of hens or land barriers, come back in one or two days, to settle the score. When I was guiding, 3/4 of my time was scouting, and 1/4 time hunting. Coyotes, free roaming dogs, etc play a hand too. Again, part of scouting, looking for scratches, dust bowles, field activity, and rainy day birds (when they really come out).

Thanks given by: