Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CVA Mountain rifle and CVA Bobcat
I recently purchased a CVA mountain rifle and a CVA bobcat, both 50 cal. I know little to nothing about muzzle loaders other than how to load premeasured powder and a sabot in an in line muzzle loader. From what I've read so far the 1:66 mountain rifle should shoot balls and the 1:48 bobcat should shoot bullets. Both are labeled black powder only so I know to NOT use smokeless. All I have are the rifles and their ram rods, I'll have to buy the other stuff still.

Does anyone know about these rifles, or where I can find information? Powder charge, size ball, etc.

Thanks ahead of time.
Thanks given by:
I'm not familiar with the Bobcat but I currently have the MR an the Accura. And I had two of the first MR's that CVA came out with but these two had problems with the finish and CVA replace both with their newer versions. CVA is a great company and stand behind their products.

As with any ML, you will need to experiment a bit with bullets and powder and primers. Any and all can and usually will cause point of impact to vary. With that said a good starting point would be some Barnes 250grain TEZ sabots using Winchester or CCI magnum or Federal 209 shotgun primers. I switch from Pyrodex powder many years ago to BH209 powder and there are several reasons for doing so. Pyrodex powder when ignited with a 209 primer will create a "crude ring" just in front of where the bullet sits on the powder charge. This makes second and third shots hard to reload without swabbing the barrell between shots. With BH209 no swabbing is required.

However, you will need a special breech plug in order to shoot BH209 powder in the CVA. Your powder charge will be something between 90 and 110 grains. One of mine likes 90 and one likes 100 the best. The Barnes Bullet and a regular 209 primer with BH powder and you should be able to get pretty close to MOA accuracy. Do not try to use a primer made for muzzle loaders. They are not as "hot" as a regular primer and you want a hot primer with BH powder.

A good source of information for all things Muzzle Loading go to Modern Muzzleloader web site and inquire there about shooting Balls or anything related to Muzzys. Those guys over there have more information then an old set of encyclopedias.

Glenn
Thanks given by:
How does a 209 primer work with percussion cap rifles? Thanks for the lead on another site.
Thanks given by:
I only have the modern inline and they use the 209 caps for ignition. The percussion rifles I believe use either the #11 caps or the musket caps. Again, I have no experience with these. They would be good questions on the Modern Muzzleloader site.
Thanks given by:
Glenn, I looked it up the CVA bobcat is a percussion capped sidelock. so is the old mountain rifle, I know easy to get mixed up but the modern CVA is the Accura MR(mountain rifle)
Thanks given by:
And if you want to go more modern in the CVA line....... https://cva.com/product-line/paramount-rifle/
Thanks given by:
Here's a picture of the mountain rifle. It's got a pretty stock on it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks given by:
And here's a couple of the bobcat. I cleaned it yesterday and verified there's no rust in the bore and lubed it with bore butter to keep it that way. I'll probably hunt with it this year with bullets and do the patched ball thing with the mountain rifle later.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks given by:
For the Optima or Accura line of CVA's, Blackhorn does "recommend" changing breech plugs. But its definitely not required. The new breech plug is concave and has a shorter flash channel for more reliable ignition. BH209 works exceptionally well with CCI 209 magnum primers. But with the Bobcat, it doesnt look line there is a removable breechplug.
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2020, 08:38 AM)Alex G. Wrote: For the Optima or Accura line of CVA's, Blackhorn does "recommend" changing breech plugs. But its definitely not required. The new breech plug is concave and has a shorter flash channel for more reliable ignition. BH209 works exceptionally well with CCI 209 magnum primers. But with the Bobcat, it doesnt look line there is a removable breechplug.

To the original poster or anyone else for that matter IGNORE!!! the above post. They recommend the change of breech plugs for a reason. I have personally witnessed the reason when GNC was switching to BH209 powder in his inline mountain rifles and accuras. While i dont believe it is a safety issue(kaboom) it does cause a hangfire situation and piss poor accuracy which if you think about it is a saftey issue. If you don't know where your projectile is going to hit then you should not shoot the firearm in the field. at the range trying to figure it out in a controlled environment yes but to take a firearm out in the field that has the potential to malfunction is just plain ignorant or stupid because you're too cheap to buy a new breech plug designed to fix the issue.
Thanks given by: