Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CVA Mountain rifle and CVA Bobcat
(08-08-2020, 03:59 PM)Enrgizerbunny Wrote: And here's a couple of the bobcat. I cleaned it yesterday and verified there's no rust in the bore and lubed it with bore butter to keep it that way. I'll probably hunt with it this year with bullets and do the patched ball thing with the mountain rifle later.

EB, I would stick with triple 7 or pyrodex pellets or work up a loose load of either of those powders and use musket caps instead of trying the bh209 as i don't believe it is made for a percussion cap gun.

Joe
Thanks given by:
Exactly 67GT. For less than $30 why wouldn’t you change it. There is a noticeable difference in the two breech plugs. There is obviously a reason for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I purchased Pyrodex RS and shot it yesterday with 50gr and a 295 gr powerbelt projectile. Using No. 11 primers. Read an ancient post on a forum that a guy was shooting 2" groups @100yds with that powder/projectile combo.
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2020, 09:29 AM)Enrgizerbunny Wrote: I purchased Pyrodex RS and shot it yesterday with 50gr and a 295 gr powerbelt projectile. Using No. 11 primers. Read an ancient post on a forum that a guy was shooting 2" groups @100yds with that powder/projectile combo.

I have never heard a single good thing about Powerbelts when they hit a deer. Just saying be careful. I wouldn’t use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2020, 10:12 AM)67gt390fb Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 08:38 AM)Alex G. Wrote: For the Optima or Accura line of CVA's, Blackhorn does "recommend" changing breech plugs. But its definitely not required. The new breech plug is concave and has a shorter flash channel for more reliable ignition. BH209 works exceptionally well with CCI 209 magnum primers. But with the Bobcat, it doesnt look line there is a removable breechplug.

To the original poster or anyone else for that matter IGNORE!!! the above post. They recommend the change of breech plugs for a reason. I have personally witnessed the reason when GNC was switching to BH209 powder in his inline mountain rifles and accuras. While i dont believe it is a safety issue(kaboom) it does cause a hangfire situation and piss poor accuracy which if you think about it is a saftey issue. If you don't know where your projectile is going to hit then you should not shoot the firearm in the field. at the range trying to figure it out in a controlled environment yes but to take a firearm out in the field that has the potential to malfunction is just plain ignorant or stupid because you're too cheap to buy a new breech plug designed to fix the issue.

Wow... so there is no safety issue and I said, more reliable ignition. Never said don't change it... you guys just need to find a different outlet for your frustrations, nothing I said was wrong, incorrect or a safety issue.
And to the OP... doesnt matter for your rifles, you cant change it anyway.
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 07:57 AM)Alex G. Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 08:38 AM)Alex G. Wrote: For the Optima or Accura line of CVA's, Blackhorn does "recommend" changing breech plugs. But its definitely not required. The new breech plug is concave and has a shorter flash channel for more reliable ignition. BH209 works exceptionally well with CCI 209 magnum primers. But with the Bobcat, it doesnt look line there is a removable breechplug.

To the original poster or anyone else for that matter IGNORE!!! the above post. They recommend the change of breech plugs for a reason. I have personally witnessed the reason when GNC was switching to BH209 powder in his inline mountain rifles and accuras. While i dont believe it is a safety issue(kaboom) it does cause a hangfire situation and piss poor accuracy which if you think about it is a saftey issue. If you don't know where your projectile is going to hit then you should not shoot the firearm in the field. at the range trying to figure it out in a controlled environment yes but to take a firearm out in the field that has the potential to malfunction is just plain ignorant or stupid because you're too cheap to buy a new breech plug designed to fix the issue.

Wow... so there is no safety issue and I said, more reliable ignition. Never said don't change it... you guys just need to find a different outlet for your frustrations, nothing I said was wrong, incorrect or a safety issue.

because of the lack of reliabiility in ignition it is a safety issue by the fact that you have no idea of point of imact with a hang fire so no the gun isnt going to blow up but you can cause serious safety and ethical issues by not knowing where the bullet winds up.
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2020, 09:29 AM)Enrgizerbunny Wrote: I purchased Pyrodex RS and shot it yesterday with 50gr and a 295 gr powerbelt projectile. Using No. 11 primers. Read an ancient post on a forum that a guy was shooting 2" groups @100yds with that powder/projectile combo.

second thummys statement on powerbelts, accurate but be prepared for frustration with the results unless you hit bone. through the boiler room they have poor expansion and will leave you following specs of blood instead of a blood trail. if the gun will accept saboted bullets get something that expands like barnes or knight expanders(barnes in a knight box)

Joe
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 09:21 AM)67gt390fb Wrote:

because of the lack of reliabiility in ignition it is a safety issue by the fact that you have no idea of point of imact with a hang fire so no the gun isnt going to blow up but you can cause serious safety and ethical issues by not knowing where the bullet winds up.
So, if your pulling the trigger on ANY mzlder and expecting to go BANG, your not a mzldr hunter. Shame on you to chastise my recommendation, especially when I was not the one to initially recommend the set up. Don't find fault in what I said... find fault in the rebuttals that think there is fault in my reply. Cheers y'all. Be good and enjoy life..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
"Some people are like slinkys, sort of worthless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs."
"No Bottle, just Balls & Throttle!"
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 04:28 PM)Alex G. Wrote:
(Yesterday, 09:21 AM)67gt390fb Wrote:

So, if your pulling the trigger on ANY mzlder and expecting to go BANG, your not a mzldr hunter. Shame on you to chastise my recommendation, especially when I was not the one to initially recommend the set up. Don't find fault in what I  said... find fault in the rebuttals that think there is fault in my reply.  Cheers y'all.  Be good and enjoy life..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

if you are equating the inadvertent hangfire that may happen with any muzzleloader with the known quantity of using the wrong breechplug for bh209 powder that you know will cause a hangfire then I don't have anything else to say but good luck and have a nice retirement and honestly get well.
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 09:25 AM)67gt390fb Wrote:

second thummys statement on powerbelts, accurate but be prepared for frustration with the results unless you hit bone. through the boiler room they have poor expansion and will leave you following specs of blood instead of a blood trail. if the gun will accept saboted bullets get something that expands like barnes or knight expanders(barnes in a knight box)

Joe

Have to add an agreement to stay away from the Powerbelts. Yes, they are accurate - great for paper. Terrible for deer!

Shot a small doe last year with a PB at about 30-yds. The bullet disintegrated on impact, turned the insides into a total mess of moussed internal organs, ruined lots of meat and the doe ran prob 60-yds before dropping. Second, larger deer shot with same load (100 gr pyrodex) and PB - another total bullet failure, but fortunate that shreds took out heart, so deer only went about 50-yds.

I switched back to two of my favorites; Thompson Center Shockwave (200 gr) w Mag Express sabot or Hornady .45 cal 240 gr XTP in a 50 cal sabot. Both with 2x50 gr Pyrodex. I mostly use my CVA Wolf (inline) now for ML as it adds the benefit of a scope. However have used those loads with equal success in my T/C Black Mountain Magnum, percussion sidelock.
Tons of bullet/powder combos to play with and choose between, seek out a few combos and spend a day or two shooting (and cleaning  Smile ) to see what your rifle likes best. For the purpose of clean, ethical harvest, please stay away from the PowerBelts.
Thanks given by: