Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brining venison?
Has anyone ever brined  a piece of venison for moisture?
Thanks given by:
(11-26-2020, 02:44 PM)Enrgizerbunny Wrote: Has anyone ever brined  a piece of venison for moisture?

I've marinated venison.  But haven't brined it.  Might be good.
Thanks given by:
never brined it. i don't soak it in water either. i try to keep as much of the blood in the meat as possible. it's the blood that makes it moist and flavorful. just skin it, butcher it, rinse it, sprinkle with black pepper and garlic salt, and grill slowly--not over cooking. enjoy.
Thanks given by:
I have cured it in a brine. Three weeks in a brine and then smoke. Comes out almost as good as pork ham

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: Countertop
(11-26-2020, 07:44 PM)pinesman Wrote: I have cured it in a brine. Three weeks in a brine and then smoke. Comes out almost as good as pork ham

I think I'm gonna try that with one of my hams.
Thanks given by:
I have corned several roasts and it turns out quite well. I have it generally in reubens and then make corned venison hash out of the leftovers. I have also done a German Sauerbraten several times. That also comes out really well.

On the smoke side, I have done pastrami a few times, which isn’t a full liquid brine, but similar idea. You cure the meat for a week or so in the fridge with a curing salt and seasoning and then smoke it. That also comes out very well. I have done this with a large loin and it was excellent. Flavorful and tender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I've brined turkeys for short periods (~24hrs) to add moisture to the meat. Was Just wondering if it'd work for venison. Made the turkey more forgiving when I smoked it.
Thanks given by:
It has been a while since I have cured any deer but the best i remember, it did make it moister. I know it does with the pork hams and bacon i do every year

Thanks given by:
I've not Brined venison, but I have larded it with pork fat.

Makes it nice and moist with good mouth feel. Deer Tallow never quite melts in the mouth, so pork fat makes a good substitute.
Thanks given by:
Agreed Carcass. Skin it, butcher it and vacuum seal it up. Salt pepper and garlic powder. Just ate one of the inner looms out of my buck this week and it was awesome like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by: