Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Hunting With my Dog
If I go out to look and explore a new property, and bring my Labrador retriever along to walk with me in the woods as we check it out, if I also have a rifle in case we stumble on a deer, would that be considered hunting with a dog? He’s a bird dog, and more of a flusher (though he does point a little), unless he’s on a retrieve he stays within 15 yards of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
i think it would. i've hunted with a guy that had a bird dog once. it was a great technique as the dog would bump the deer and frequently the bucks would circle backwards towards the hunter. good luck.
Thanks given by:
I did that once many years ago when my dog Amber (Beagle/Foxhound/Shepherd mix) was younger.  We always went rabbit hunting, and she supposedly knew what the plan was.

Wrong....  She jumped a big doe out of some briars, and that was it.  Gone... I'm tellin' ya...  G-O-N-E!!!  She was going to be in Albemarle County come nightfall, you know what I mean?

Thankfully, by the Grace of God, about an hour later, I see her way way up ahead, coming back over a ridge, dragging herself along, tongue hanging out, totally wore out!  Duh.... Lord only knows how far she chased that deer...

That was it.  Never again.  My wife put her foot down and I never took a "family dog" into the woods.
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure how it would NOT be considered hunting with a dog?
Thanks given by:
Where are you hunting and why would it matter?

It isn’t like you are in a state where it is illegal to run deer with dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
(12-15-2020, 06:10 PM)Thummy Wrote: Where are you hunting and why would it matter?  

It isn’t like you are in a state where it is illegal to run deer with dogs.

My understanding is that in some counties it is indeed illegal to hunt deer with dogs.
Thanks given by:
West of the Blue Ridge. Likely Fairfax County also but never read anything about that.

That is why I asked what area. Figured I could also do some searching for you

Best thing is to call the main DGIF number and ask them to have a CPO call you

Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
From the DGIF site (now called DWR)...

Dogs May Not Be Used For Deer Hunting
  • West of the Blue Ridge.
  • East of the Blue Ridge in Bedford, Fairfax, Franklin, Henry, Loudoun, Northampton, and Patrick counties, and Amherst (west of Rt. 29), Campbell (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad), Nelson (west of Rt. 151), Pittsylvania (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad), and the City of Lynchburg.
  • On Sunday while in possession of a weapon.
  • When hunting during archery and muzzleloading seasons and on the Youth and Apprentice Deer Hunting Weekend.
  • On many military areas. Check individual Post regulations.
  • On Amelia, Cavalier, Doe Creek, Featherfin, Mattaponi, Mattaponi Bluffs, Merrimac Farm, Oakley Forest, Parker’s Branch Tract on Big Woods, Pettigrew, Chester F. Phelps, G. Richard Thompson, Robert W. Duncan, and Ware Creek Wildlife Management Areas.
  • During the first 14 hunting days of the fire- arms deer season in Madison and Greene counties.

Scroll almost to the bottom of their website below:
Deer | Virginia DWR
Thanks given by: