Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linthicum Butcher Issues?
Has anyone else dropped a deer off at Linthicum and is still waiting to hear back? Have you had any communication with them at all?

I dropped a deer off in December to get processed and also have some specialty meat (polish sausage) done. Despite calling every week for the past month and a half, I've yet to connect with them. Their voice mail is full and they never answer the phone. They've typically had it done in 4-6 weeks depending on when the next pick up was for specialty meats as they outsource that to someone in PA.

I've seen a few negative posts on their Facebook page but that's all I've been able to find out.
Thanks given by:
I have only read a lot about them. Never used them. I have heard enough about them that there is no way I would take anything there.

Sorry you are dealing with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
(04-15-2021, 10:02 AM)buckmark 13 Wrote: Has anyone else dropped a deer off at Linthicum and is still waiting to hear back?  Have you had any communication with them at all?

I dropped a deer off in December to get processed and also have some specialty meat (polish sausage) done. Despite calling every week for the past month and a half, I've yet to connect with them. Their voice mail is full and they never answer the phone. They've typically had it done in 4-6 weeks depending on when the next pick up was for specialty meats as they outsource that to someone in PA.  

I've seen a few negative posts on their Facebook page but that's all I've been able to find out.

Hey BuckMark - Yeah, I have a deer over there waiting to be picked up. I went by (prob 2-months ago) and talked to Scott some. He wrote down my claim number and was going to get to my deer asap. It's been my fault now, as I haven't had a free weekend to get over there to check/pick up.
Their father passed away last year, Dad (and their Mom) had been the driving force keeping it running over the years. Another woman (other than Mom) use to run the "front office" (sister/wife?) and Scott and a team of helpers did all the butchering. Scott's son went to work for UPS and the other helper got a job at an auto-dealer in Tysons area - and finding experienced (butcher) help is pretty tough to come by.
This season its been just him; front office, butchering, etc. - and he was in the hospital beginning of the year with some health issues.
If you swing by, they have a sign on the door with a cell number to call. He'll come down from the house (or inside shop) and meet you. That's probably the best way to get in touch.
I've been using them for years - and to be  fair this year is the first time i've ever had any issues. They've always been quick and do a good job at a fair price.
Hate to say it - but my guess is this will end up being their last season. (you could also try sending him a DM via their Facebook page)
Thanks given by:
Ok can someone explain to be how a deer that was dropped off to be butchered in December would still be good?

I mean unless they froze the whole thing back in December. No way that deer could hang in a cooler that long unless someone knows something I don’t. If that is the case I would love to know.

I stopped taking my deer to a butcher years ago. When I did use a butcher even when they were loaded up it was 2 weeks tops before it was done.

I get things happen and health issues come up unexpectedly but I can’t see how that deer is any good now.

Thanks given by:
(04-22-2021, 08:48 AM)VaHunter64 Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 10:02 AM)buckmark 13 Wrote: Has anyone else dropped a deer off at Linthicum and is still waiting to hear back?  Have you had any communication with them at all?

Hey BuckMark - Yeah, I have a deer over there waiting to be picked up. I went by (prob 2-months ago) and talked to Scott some. He wrote down my claim number and was going to get to my deer asap. It's been my fault now, as I haven't had a free weekend to get over there to check/pick up.
Their father passed away last year, Dad (and their Mom) had been the driving force keeping it running over the years. Another woman (other than Mom) use to run the "front office" (sister/wife?) and Scott and a team of helpers did all the butchering. Scott's son went to work for UPS and the other helper got a job at an auto-dealer in Tysons area - and finding experienced (butcher) help is pretty tough to come by.
This season its been just him; front office, butchering, etc. - and he was in the hospital beginning of the year with some health issues.
If you swing by, they have a sign on the door with a cell number to call. He'll come down from the house (or inside shop) and meet you. That's probably the best way to get in touch.
I've been using them for years - and to be  fair this year is the first time i've ever had any issues. They've always been quick and do a good job at a fair price.
Hate to say it - but my guess is this will end up being their last season. (you could also try sending him a DM via their Facebook page)
Thanks @VaHunter64 !

Scott has always done a good job for me and their polish sausage that they outsource to a company in PA is the primary reason I go back. They're phenomenal! I wish I knew the company as I'd go directly to the source.

I have his cell (the number on the door) but I can't get him to answer or respond to texts. It's very frustrating! I thought about heading over to track him down but that's a pain and weekends are by and large booked. To @Thummy point, I'm not sure if I even want it now. Might just leave the $100 with him and chalk it up to a donation to a family that could probably use it. We'll see and good luck with yours. If you hear anything let me know and I'll do the same.
Thanks given by:
(04-22-2021, 01:23 PM)Thummy Wrote: Ok can someone explain to be how a deer that was dropped off to be butchered in December would still be good?  

I mean unless they froze the whole thing back in December. No way that deer could hang in a cooler that long unless someone knows something I don’t. If that is the case I would love to know.

I stopped taking my deer to a butcher years ago.  When I did use a butcher even when they were loaded up it was 2 weeks tops before it was done.

I get things happen and health issues come up unexpectedly but I can’t see how that deer is any good now.

Hi Thummy -

All fair points. I know they do have all the deer frozen and hide on, which will help to some extent, but yes, I would expect there will also be a lot of wastage from potential freezer burn.

It is disappointing, but I'd still like to get whatever venison from that deer I can as it was the only deer I harvested for 2020-21 season.

At this point, I am just chalking it up to yet another 'gift' from the year that was 2020!
Prior to the start of the season, I was really optimistic to have a great season. New gear (wireless cameras, tree-stands, crossbow, clothes) and a pandemic induced work from home schedule that should have allowed for more time in the woods.

Ended up; unseasonable warm weather on a lot of the days I got out, construction changing deer patterns on the property and my son coming down with Covid - I quarantined and took care of him which took me out of the last 3+ weeks of the regular season.

I got into a late season archery hunt and arrowed a deer, but couldn't finish tracking it before dark. By the time I returned the next AM and found it, the coyotes had beaten me to it.

I'm just trying to take it in stride with a smile and a head shake - hoping for at least a few pounds of ground venison to hold me over until the start of the 2021 season.... which I am confident will be much better than 2020's !  rolling
Thanks given by:
@VaHunter64 @Thummy

Hey guys, hope all is well and you're having a good summer!

Quick update for anyone following along. I finally called the DGIF and spoke with the warden for PW county. He's gotten so many complaints and tried to intervien that his supervisor told him to stop going out there anymore as their hands are tied. Once we (hunters) have officially checked our harvest, the deer becomes our personal property. As long as the processor is keeping good records (which they are) there is nothing they can do about poor or no service. It becomes a commercial transaction and DGIF has no jurisdiction to intervien. He's equally frustrated as he has to deal with all the calls. At this point I'd be thrilled with just getting my deposit back, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Enjoy the rest of your summer and opening day will be here soon enough. Somehow it always sneaks up on me!
Thanks given by:
Man that sucks. I get it that DNR can’t do anything really. I guess the best they could do is pull their license from them. I am assuming that with them taking in wild game that DNR can and does swing by to check records and they have to have something that allows them to do it.

Thanks given by:
Yep, they've been by numerous times since the complaints started, but they have their records in order. All they can do is check that they are recording everything properly, including license numbers and that the deer was checked in.

They've obviously taken in a lot of deposits and wasted a lot of venison. It's a shame the son, Scott, has allowed it to go downhill and ruined the family name.
Thanks given by: