Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How was your season?
Well no chances to hunt ducks or geese this season. Really only got to chase deer and turkeys.

My deer season started off rough. I had 2 spots in MD to hunt and the winery in VA. Of course DNR made it so I couldn’t bring a deer back from Loudoun to Fairfax.

My one spot in MD I was getting a few deer on camera but not much. The other I had a couple nice buck and a bunch of doe showing up.

I thought i would get out more with Covid but it wasn’t the case. I hunted my one spot in MD a couple mornings since due to Covid the property owner at the other spot was always around and I didn’t like bothering him in the morning when I got to his place that early. The doe I had on camera just wouldn’t show up the days I hunted. I did have a small 4 pointer show up but let him walk.

Got out a little late one evening and managed to knock down the biggest racked buck I have ever shot. He is at the taxidermist.

I got to get out and hunt with a great friend and his hunt club a few times this season and managed to shoot a small deer.

Took the annual trip to GA. The trip is always a great time. Managed to kill 2 hogs.

Early in the deer season my wife decided that it was time to get out of Fairfax County and we started looking for places in Stafford, Spotsylvania, Faquire and Loudoun county. We ended up with an awesome property in Stafford that we will eventually build a house on.

Turkey season rolled around and I had heard a turkey on our property the weekend before the season started. I hunted several mornings and could hear a gobble. Finally had a chance to get down again and it was going to be the last hint for me. Heard the turkey gobbling on the roost from where I park. I snuck in and had him on the ground by 6:30. It really was awesome taking a bird (only my 3rd ever) off of the property that my wife and I worked so hard to get. He is at the taxidermist too.

Hope everyone else had a great season. Let’s hear the stories. I had some great hunts even when I didn’t harvest anything. Share those sorties too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
Had a good deer season. Bolted a doe at like 830am opening day. Shot my biggest buck on Dec 5th, taxidermist should have it back to me soon. Killed a few other deer as well. Though I hunted a lot of days, I didn't hunt a full day until well into November.
Only got out for spring turkey once, heard some birds in the am but they never cam in.
Might wrap up the season with a spring squirrel hunt in the next week or two.
Ready for next season.

In the woods.
Thanks given by:
Thanks to VAWS, I got to go on a dove hunt with my eleven-year-old daughter. We had a great time. She got two and I nearly limited out with 14. That was very exciting as I am new to dove hunting.
I got to go on a deer hunt with my daughter on youth day, but she didn't get a shot at any.
During muzzleloader season, I harvested two bucks, one of which was a decent buck but unfortunately I didn't find him until a week later. But, thankfully, I found him.
Thanks to VAWS, I got to go on a muzzleloader hunt with my daughter and we saw a couple but she didn't get a shot.
Thanks to VAWS, I got to go on a rifle hunt with my daughter and she missed her first deer ever and then killed the next FOUR DEER that she saw later that day (DMAP).
I got to go on a turkey hunt with my daughter on youth day. We didn't see any.
I got to hunt a lot of days during spring gobbler and I struggled but did get one tom before the season was over.
I got to hunt the last spring turkey day with my daughter. We heard some but didn't see any.
I got to kayak fish with my daughter this past week at Bear Creek Lake State Park, and I caught three small LMB.
Great times! Living and working near the city, I can never seem to get enough of hunting and fishing in the countryside; and even more so now that my little snickerdoodle is joining me on these wildlife adventures.
Thanks given by:
Awesome Carcass. It was great reading the stories of you getting your daughter out this past season.

Thanks given by:
I hunted three properties total this year and harvested at least one deer on each one, 8 total for the year. I was able to donate 3 deer to the Hunters for the Hungry program as well.

I took my first doe opening morning at about 8:15 with my crossbow and my biggest buck that same “weekend” Monday evening late at around 6:30ish.

I harvest those two deer in bow season, a buck and two does in muzzle loader, and then a buck and two does in rifle season. The last two does I took on January 1st in the early morning and then at closing, January 2nd to close my season out. Those were two of my donations.

Throughout the season I also took a couple of rabbits and some squirrels on my place in Madison.

Turkey season was a bust for me, but I did have a couple of really exciting mornings. The most exciting morning I called a tom in, but he came in more behind me vs side/front and busted me before I could get a shot. Flew down the hill in front of me and away he went.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Deer season sucked as usual... I ate "tag soup" year after year, as always... Sad

COVID brought out a lot of hunters in VA, and everywhere you went (public land), there was another hunter or groups of hunters on a ridge -- even during the week!!! Sad
Thanks given by:
I had a different experience, ButchA. The 3 times we went out on public land we saw a couple people but it's 4000 acres or something so a few hunters aren't too difficult to avoid. Saw a bunch of deer but we were walking and had noisy kids with us so no shots on public land this year.

I only got 2 deer this season, one buck, one doe. Both were in the Fairfax County population control program.
Thanks given by:
Nebraska seasons were awesoeme. For Deer, I tagged out on statewide as well as seasons choice tags. The two biggest were a 14 point buck and 10 point buck,

For Turkeys, I tagged out on longbeards two seasons in a row. No complaints. This season, I"m going to try and hunt Oklahoma also. That would give me 4 bucks and 7 Longbeards in one season. I would have hunted Oklahoam last year but Navy Covid travel rules limited me to Nebraska.
Thanks given by:
Keep the stories coming. Great reading them.

Thanks given by: