Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WMA Doves???
I took my daughter to Powhatan WMA today in search of some doves. I'd never been there before and we hiked in all of our gear to what was supposed to be the dove field. What we found was an overgrown field of vegetation that was taller than I am. There was no way we'd be able to find the downed bird if we ever got to shoot at one. Frustrated and hot, we left and went to Amelia WMA instead. That WMA was almost as bad. We found the designated dove fields and found them to also be the overgrown vegetation, but some with a narrow strip mowed down through the middle. Again, if we downed a bird, if it didn't fall into the narrow mowed path, we'd never find it. All was a moot point anyway as we sat there until evening and never saw a single dove. What a disappointment; I don't think I'll ever go to either place again in the future.
Thanks given by:
It is insane that DWR can’t even get that right. Doesn’t take much to mow a field.

Sorry your day turned out like that.

Send a message to DWR and complain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I thought of contacting the DMR but from my past four experiences over the years of emailing them, I never hear back. i've used the website "contact us" feature and have even looked up direct email addresses and emailed specific officials and NEVER get a response. very disappointing and unprofessional.
Thanks given by:
Wow that is terrible.

I am not surprised about the fields though. Even years ago they were bad. A friend of mine got drawn for the New Kent dove hunt. We went down and the fields were crap.

I went to Pettigrew WMA after being told that Delta Waterfowl chapter in that area did some work on the dove fields by a guy in the group. He told me to check it out. It was over grown and a mess. I called him when I got home to tell him about it and he was super disappointed that DWR couldn’t find the time to mow the fields.

Worst part is I am guessing it wouldn’t be hard to get a brush hog in there but you know it has to be someone from DWR that does it.

Thanks given by:
Given the state of national forests, national parks and,pretty much any public land I'm not surprised. Covid response seems to have hit pretty hard in terms of land management.
Thanks given by:
Frank they were lazy about it long before Covid.

Heck what would Covid have to do with one person being out mowing something alone.

They take our money but waste it on changing the name from DGIF to DWR. Think about how much new uniforms, badges, redecaling vehicles, letterhead and the website.

Thanks given by: