Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mast observations
Don't know what folks are seeing across the state, but here in Tidewater, the acorns have been pounding my metal shed for about 4 weeks now.  It seems to have started early than normal.  Also, my American beauty berry bushes fruited over a month later than normal (deer don't eat that stuff, just an anecdote).  I am thinking this points to an abnormal year for deer movement, hopefully in a good way, but I suspect movement will down because of the mast bumper crop.  Finding good oaks to set up under....
Parker Revolution (2017)
HHA Optimizer Kingpin
Stan Shootout
Blackout X3
Lumenoks and Launchpads (don't like Nocturnals)
Thanks given by:
Madison County here, and I have had a ton of acorns. Both does I shot in early season (9 and 15 September) were full of acorns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I have never known deer to eat them but my black walnut trees have limbs breaking down with walnuts and the ornamental peach tree is full of peaches almost twice as big as normal. Makes me wonder about the coming winter.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I've been seeing it in Hanover too. Way earlier than usual, but my yard is covered in acorns and the does that live in my yard (I've been filling in dead grass with clover seed mixes) disappeared wholesale. Got a feeling that you're right - it's gonna shift weird early season. Hopefully that just means we can pin them in the woods instead of watching from 400 yards with a bow! rolling

We've even started to see rubs pop up already...very strange. Can't wait for Saturday to open.
***I'd rather be bowhunting...***
Archery 
Thanks given by:
Also in Hanover and also have white oaks dropping. Haven't checked in on the red oak stand that usually drops early and attracts a crowd of deer.
The acorns will definitely keep them in the woods. Will be seeking out chewed acorn husks with piles of crap near by and setting up shop.
Have done virtually zero scouting and havent even checked on stands... slackin this preseason.

In the woods.
Thanks given by:
From DWR:
DWR Acorn Survey

Find it really curious. I clearly must live in one of the urban 'bumper crop' areas they mention. Some of the sidewalks on my daily walk are so covered with acorns, you'd break your ankle trying to walk across!

Also seen pretty good acorn crop from some of the trees in the Loudoun county area that hunt. Have a game camera on one large oak and the deer hit that hard every night, all night.

Heading down to southern Albemarle tomorrow to spend next few days hunting. Will be curious to check out the mast crops in that area.
Thanks given by:
Saw that too. Haven't put enough boots on the ground to make broad observations but the white oaks are definitely dropping behind the house. Honestly, I sort of hope its hit or miss cause when you find the random few that are dropping, they are getting lots of deer traffic. When every tree is dropping, who knows.

In the woods.
Thanks given by:
We were at our camper in Westmoreland this weekend and there are acorns all over the place. They are steady falling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
i am seeing a ton of whites in my area not as many reds
Thanks given by: