Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next season prepping
Anybody start prepping for next season?
I just planted 4 saw tooth oaks - wont drop acorns for 5-7 years but should be great early bow season once they do.
Purchased a savage 220 slug gun with thumbhole stock.
Will probably buy a hub blind to use next season with the kids. I prefer the hub style over the wire hoop style.
Is it October yet?

In the woods.
Thanks given by:
i'm trying to save up gas money so i can get to the land. Sad
Thanks given by:
Not sighted in yet but looking forward to shooting this thing. Its like 8.5 lbs and should be pretty easy on the shoulder.[Image: eddd4e06e3a273ac023317e7dc1362bc.jpg]

In the woods.
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2022, 09:22 PM)Carcass Wrote: i'm trying to save up gas money so i can get to the land. Sad
Heard that. I use the gas buddy app to see where cheapest gas is. Sheetz does good rewards too via their app, like buy a burger and get 10cents per gallon off (on top of the 3 cents off you get with sheetz account).

In the woods.
Thanks given by:
Not really this coming season 2022, as I'll still be stuck driving a school bus.  Sad

But the following year 2023... Oh yeah... I already announced to Henrico Co Schools (here in the suburbs of Richmond) -- BYE BYE!!  I am hereby, totally, fulfilling my contract as a school bus driver, and am going to retire at the end of the school year in 2023..

I'll be 62 in April of 2023 and will FINALLY be eligible to file for Social Security.

I remember those letters you'd get in the mail from time to time, stating that "based on your employment history.... yada yada yada.... if you claimed Social Security... THIS would be the amount you would receive...."   etc... etc... etc...   I don't want to get all funny or weird or acting like an a$$ or whatever, but you all might remember - I used to work in the I.T. industry (before it collapsed - us old dinosaurs in the Unix area and mainframes and even old COBOL programs and things...)  Well, Social Security takes a look at your whole entire employment history throughout your life and takes into consideration, the highest earning salary you ever earned over a 3 year period.  Well... I was in my prime, back in the I.T. industry, if you get where I am going with this... I would make WAY MORE by retiring and collecting Social Security (on top of a US Coast Guard military retirement) than continuing driving a school bus!

So.... Getting to the point:  I am going to LOVE the next coming year 2023 and I will be free and able to come and go as I please, do what I want, and be able to hunt anytime, anywhere!  (i.e. as long as my wife doesn't have some type of "honey-do" list or whatever...)
Thanks given by:
(04-19-2022, 08:04 PM)ButchA Wrote: Not really this coming season 2022, as I'll still be stuck driving a school bus.  Sad

But the following year 2023... Oh yeah... I already announced to Henrico Co Schools (here in the suburbs of Richmond) -- BYE BYE!!  I am hereby, totally, fulfilling my contract as a school bus driver, and am going to retire at the end of the school year in 2023..

I'll be 62 in April of 2023 and will FINALLY be eligible to file for Social Security.

I remember those letters you'd get in the mail from time to time, stating that "based on your employment history.... yada yada yada.... if you claimed Social Security... THIS would be the amount you would receive...."   etc... etc... etc...   I don't want to get all funny or weird or acting like an a$$ or whatever, but you all might remember - I used to work in the I.T. industry (before it collapsed - us old dinosaurs in the Unix area and mainframes and even old COBOL programs and things...)  Well, Social Security takes a look at your whole entire employment history throughout your life and takes into consideration, the highest earning salary you ever earned over a 3 year period.  Well... I was in my prime, back in the I.T. industry, if you get where I am going with this... I would make WAY MORE by retiring and collecting Social Security (on top of a US Coast Guard military retirement) than continuing driving a school bus!

So.... Getting to the point:  I am going to LOVE the next coming year 2023 and I will be free and able to come and go as I please, do what I want, and be able to hunt anytime, anywhere!  (i.e. as long as my wife doesn't have some type of "honey-do" list or whatever...)

Just FYSA, that is not how Social Security works. Your primary payment is calculated by indexing 35 years of earnings. To get max benefits you need to essentially max out social security earnings each year. In 2022, that would mean making $147,000 in social security taxed earnings.

Unless you had many more years of high earnings, 3 years is not going to influence the 35 year index very much. Now, if you made close to max or max social security earnings for 15, 20 years or more then you would sit pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks given by:
ButchA, how will your benefits change as you age? Double-dipping (USAF retirement) really impacted my mom until she hit 70, I think. The retirement income offset the Social Security significantly (like nearly $1000/mo if I remember correctly).
Thanks given by:
I was an "enlisted puke" in the USCG. If I was a commissioned officer, then... yeah... Social Security would be almost null & void at age 62.

$18,960 == Total annual income, pension, etc.. ---> MAXIMUM you can earn at age 62, before Social Security gets severely impacted.

For all military veterans, I was only an E-6 and retired as is. The USCG is a wonderful service, but back when I was in, it was getting "top heavy" if you know what I mean. You had to almost wait for someone to DIE before you could try to make Chief E-7, Senior Chief E-8, etc.. I tried the promotion boards for E-7 a few times and said, "screw it..."

I spent quite a number of years in the I.T. industry (before it fizzed out on me) -- so that is why my Social Security statement looked so high at age 62. Even right now as a county school bus driver, my retirement next year from my school bus would bring me dangerously close to the max total income, but not over it.
Thanks given by:
Yeah the 80s and 90s were hard for senior enlisted options, in every branch. I had a similar (though not quite as bad) issue in the mid-late 90s when I got out. Kids now are putting on E5 before we were even eligible to test for E5. Different world these days.
Thanks given by: ButchA