Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRI BALLS
Iwas casting slugs this afternoon for my shotgun and thought about the fellows that are tied to a shotgun and not allowed to use slugs.

There is a Tri Ball load on the market from Dixie Slugs. I think this qualifies as buckshot....anyway, years ago, James at Dixie was kind enough to give out the recipe for handloaders. I've shot a bunch of these and they are devistating and give a lot better range than 00. No pressure problems just make sure you use HARD balls.

Here it is:

Now...let's talk about what to do and what not to do! First of all use a good straight wall hull...we like the 12 ga 3" Cheddite from Graf & Sons.

The BPI wad was the first wad we used, but later went with the Precision Reloading TUPRW123 (orange)....it's a little tougher wad.

Next is the powder...Using 28 to 31 grs of Blue Dot will work, if you are careful about getting the crimp length of no more that 2.71" OAL for repeating guns.

Next...be sure the balls a tapped down tight in the wad! Use a wood dowel and a rubber hammer....and tap light! Then a buffer must be vibrated down around the balls until the buffer just covers the top ball. Tap again to be sure the balls did not move up while you vibrated the buffer in. The best buffer we have used is the Teflon buffer from Precision Reloading, but we have also used BPI's fine grade buffer.

Now Friends, there has been hundreds of deer and hogs killed with Tri-Ball loads over the past four years. It has proven itself in the field indeed. By following in detail these instructions, you can reloade/load Tri-Balls yourself indeed.

Do not try to push the envelope more that I have posted here on powder. Use hard balls that will not setback and cause sidewall pressure.,,,you can even heat treat the balls if you want to, but it is not needed if you use WW with a little tin added.

Regards, James

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for this post Mr. Nap. I did some research about the TriBall III round and have been fairly impressed with my findings. Since I mainly hunt in Buckshot only counties, I may purchase some and try them out.

TriBall 3 Pattern at 40yards - Source (http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopi...3435fedddf)
[Image: 8point09002-1.jpg]

TriBall 3 vs 00Buck

Thanks given by:
Pricing isn't bad either -

DXSTB2-Tri-Ball 3”
12 ga. 3” Mag – three .600” – 325 gr. Buckshot. 5 rd. box
5 boxes or less - $12 per box
6+ boxes - $11 per box

DXSTB2-Tri-Ball 3 ½”
12 ga. 3 ½” Mag – three .600” – 325 gr. Buckshot. 5 rd. box
5 boxes or less - $12.50 per box
6+ boxes - $11.50 per box
Thanks given by:
Dont try to place a order!!!!! James is having health issues.
Effective 3/10/14, the shop will be closed. All orders currently in house will be completed. Dixie will reopen as soon as possible and will keep everyone posted.
We have experienced some serious health issues of late and want to thank everyone for their kind wishes and support.
Thanks given by:
(03-27-2014, 08:08 AM)Alex G. Wrote: Dont try to place a order!!!!! James is having health issues.
Effective 3/10/14, the shop will be closed. All orders currently in house will be completed. Dixie will reopen as soon as possible and will keep everyone posted.
We have experienced some serious health issues of late and want to thank everyone for their kind wishes and support.

That's a shame Alex. He's one of those decent fellows to deal with.
One of the reasons I like smaller companies is the owners like to talk, SSK, Slick Tricks (Before he died) (Warren Center before he died) and Rifle Basix triggers are/were the same.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
(03-27-2014, 08:08 AM)Alex G. Wrote: Dont try to place a order!!!!! James is having health issues.

Thanks for the heads up. If they start producing/selling again I will probably order some.
Thanks given by:
(03-27-2014, 09:03 AM)Brandon Wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. If they start producing/selling again I will probably order some.

Time to start handloading Brandon!Rolleyes

Thanks given by:
heck yea,i would like to give em a try also. im hoping the fella opens back up for bussines.
Thanks given by:
(03-27-2014, 09:19 AM)peternap Wrote:
(03-27-2014, 09:03 AM)Brandon Wrote:

Time to start handloading Brandon!Rolleyes

Don't have the time nor space to mess with reloading right now. Once we move in 2-5 years and have more space I plan on starting.
Thanks given by: