Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VA Wheelin' Sportsmen weekend
We had three spring gobbler hunts this weekend and managed to harvest a bird at each hunt. We also had a couple misses so should have had more birds on the ground. All told, it was a great weekend.

We started off with a hunt on Good Friday with the Taylor Hunt Club in Orange. This nice gobbler came in at 7:00 to a B-mobile jake and a hen decoy.
[Image: 14THC_08_zpscf52dce9.jpg]

Our group of 6 hunters and the Taylor Hunt Club volunteers.
[Image: 14THC_10_zpsa4b042b3.jpg]

Next up, a Saturday hunt at East Belmont Farm in Keswick, just east of Charlottesville. This bird met his demise at 6:30 when he flew in straight off the roost, never gobbled and strutted 80 yards into the decoys.
[Image: 14EB_SG_09_zps53857f00.jpg]

One of our hunters, who had never killed a bird, had 8 jakes fly off roost and land 50 yards from the dekes, all while a mature bird was gobbling on the other side of their set up. He passed on the jakes hoping the longbeard would come in, but he never showed closer than 50 yards.
[Image: 14EB_SG_07_zps6016d2da.jpg]

For five years, we've had one hunter that has come so close to killing his first bird. Well yesterday, he closed the deal on a nice longbeard at our hunt on Panorama Farm just outside Charlottesville.
[Image: 140419_Panorama04_zps78aa28ea.jpg]

[Image: 140419_Panorama02_zps7a0ee894.jpg]

A good weekend for our hunters and our program.
Thanks given by:
I love the 4th picture down Robin. You look like you;re about to whup someone. rolling

You all have more fun than any group I know.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
Congrats to a successful weekend in the turkey woods. Those are some very nice birds!

Sent from my Obama phone
Thanks given by:
awesome birds and happy folks - WTG!!!!
Thanks given by:
(04-20-2014, 08:59 AM)peternap Wrote: I love the 4th picture down Robin. You look like you;re about to whup someone. rolling

You all have more fun than any group I know.

Ha, you know me too well. First off, we were sitting on an incline so I was pushing back to keep my balance, secondly I'd just devoured about 5 lbs of pork BBQ, mac 'n cheese, green beans, fruit salad and brownies, and lastly, I had the worst dang crick in my neck. I admit, I dozed off for about 15-20 minutes while I was hunting and woke up with my neck killing me. Old age coming on fast rolling

But you're right, we do have a helluva lt of fun. Good times and very rewarding for me personally to get these guys out for some great hunts.

My buddy took this pic of me catching some zzz's. He was down below me as I was sitting on the edge of a rock cliff under a big cedar. Looks like I was in the wide open but I was pretty well covered up.
[Image: 14EB_SG_03b_zpsc240cb47.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Congrats on all that success. Looks like everyone was having fun. WTG
Thanks given by:
Congrats all around..
Take me home county roads
Thanks given by:
Nice work !
Thanks given by:
i like the chair with tracks on it
Thanks given by: