Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do when you see road kill in VA?
I know in Texas you can call the game warden and he'll allow you to take it if it is fresh. Mostly I want to know what to do in the event that the deer is in the road way. Some places have laws against moving a carcass lest you be cited for unlawfully possessing a deer out of season.

When I started my first day of work here, there was a freshly hit 10 point buck in velvet on the side of the road, and I didn't have time to stop. It was gone by the time I got back.

What is the proper procedure in VA?
[Image: gallardo.jpg]
You went full diabetes... Never go full diabetes.
Thanks given by:
Call your local LEO/GW and they will give you a possession certificate. http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/deer/faq.asp

"Drivers who collide with a deer or bear may keep the animal for their own use, provided they report the accident to a law enforcement officer where the accident occurred. The officer will view the animal and give the person a possession certificate."
Thanks given by:
Thanks B- should have been late for work on the 10 pointer!
Thanks given by:
I called the county sheriff office last year when I saw one laying on the side of the road on my way home from hunting. It was a decent size deer. Spike that almost was a fork. One of the sheriffs showed up and shot it in the head (it was still alive) and then gave me a card. They usually have some form they will give you but he told me he didn't have any with him. Just wrote on the back of a business card and said have anyone that has issues give me a call.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I told you I'd bring you some venison Heidel. Stay away from the road kill Big Grin

I'm trying to figure out what day I can meet. I'll be in touch.
Thanks given by:
Sounds good- we have a forked buck that is sitting on the side of the road in front of an abandoned house here in Crozet. It's already gassed up inside and making quite a roadside attraction.
Thanks given by:
A friend hit a 428 lb bear on rt 43 two years ago. It was around 5am and the bear went over the bank..He wasn't stupid enough to go looking for it in the brush. He called the Game Warden and state police State police showed up within 15 minutes. GW said they would get out asap. He went on bow hunting came out at noon and stopped by the impact spot coming home. The bear was over the bank and when he started over the bear raised his head. Buddy backed off got in his truck and left. He called the GW back and asked if they had found the bear and they hadn't been to the scene yet. Finally awhile later they made it. GW took care of it. Apparently he notified someone if they wanted it and a few days later this guy has his picture taken with the bear and put in the paper. What people wont do to be seen with trophy animals.

"History in the making one Sunday at a time"
“Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale.”   
- Archery
Thanks given by:
We got a big doe last year in town where we live. It had just been hit in the head by a car. We called the local popo, he gave us possession of it along with his business card, and we took her home. Got both shoulders, all the loin and both hind quarters out of her.

Founder and President of Bad Kitty Archery

Life is tough, get a helmet...
Thanks given by:
So what kinda road kill are we talkin here AC?
Squirrel, rabbit?  or Va's definition of Big game?
I havent done it yet, but I'd only try to claim a deer ifn I saw it hit or hit it myself...
Thanks given by:
Doe. A Deer. A Female Deer. so... big game.

Our neighbor's sister saw it hit and we knew it was fresh.

Honestly, If it was fresh and not funky I would pick up a squirrel or rabbit too.

Founder and President of Bad Kitty Archery

Life is tough, get a helmet...
Thanks given by: