Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Separate bear tag.... Your thoughts?
The Va. Bear Hunters Asso. is pushing DGIF hard this year for a separate bear tag, thus removing it from your normal big game license. Want to kill a bear? You better have one of the special $25 tags in your pocket. IMO, I can sum up this legislation in one word, selfish. There are more bears in Virginia than any time in recent history, yet they want to eliminate your average hunter from having the opportunity to harvest a bear, knowing full well that most people won't spend $25 on a separate tag when they rarely, if ever, see a bear while hunting. This bill will end the "opportunistic" hunter from ever killing a bear, legally.

What it WILL do is further increase the bear population. Hound bear hunters already harvest their limit of bears, and tree thousands more. Removing the deer hunter that kills a bear while deer hunting, will lead to less kills overall. There are major concerns that the increase in the bear population has had a detrimental effect on fawns and turkey poults, especially west of the Blue Ridge, so how is the increase in the population beneficial to anyone other than the hound hunters having more bears to chase. 

My suggestion to a DGIF Board member last weekend was to leave the bear tag on the big game license, and if they feel the population is expanding too quickly, then offer a second tag for $25. THIS will help decrease the population, increase license revenue AND give the bear hunters more opportunities. It will also allow the average hunter to still harvest that bear of a lifetime when/if one walks by. If I'm deer hunting with my 12 year old nephew, I want him to have that opportunity without having to sped an extra $25. What are your thoughts?
Thanks given by:
My thoughts here are....if you are going to go ahead and do something stupid and remove the bear tag from the big game license and then charge $25 for the bear tag, they better drop the price of my big game license.

As it is right now we all pay for that bear tag. If we don't get it then we shouldn't have to pay as much.

Leave it the way it is.
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by: City Rat
Leave bear on the general tag but require a separate 25.00 tag to hunt them with dogs.

[Image: zeusavagif2_zps1991aec9.gif]Ride hard, shoot straight, enjoy today. Tomorrow may not come.
Thanks given by:
(01-20-2015, 01:51 PM)peternap Wrote: Leave bear on the general tag but require a separate 25.00 tag to hunt them with dogs.

you took it from me lol i was going to say same thing but 50.00!
Thanks given by:
(01-20-2015, 01:48 PM)Thummy Wrote: My thoughts here are....if you are going to go ahead and do something stupid and remove the bear tag from the big game license and then charge $25 for the bear tag, they better drop the price of my big game license.

As it is right now we all pay for that bear tag. If we don't get it then we shouldn't have to pay as much.

Leave it the way it is.

I agree with Thummy on this. But we all know that if they do separate the tags... Our "BIG GAME" license will stay the same price!
Thanks given by:
your absolutely right alex
Thanks given by:
I can see both sides of this. I've never killed a bear, but it's nice to know I have a tag if I get the chance to. What's to stop them from separating turkey and deer after that tho?
Thanks given by:
Virginia has had it good for a very long time as compared to other states.
Take a look at Pa.'s. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/ser...047&mode=2
Their separate on everything.
I know when I was getting my Wyoming Elk tags, They are separate as well.
My feeling is enjoy it while we can, cause sooner or later... it will change.
Thanks given by:
(01-20-2015, 02:41 PM)Alex G. Wrote: Virginia has had it good for a very long time as compared to other states.
Take a look at Pa.'s.  http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/ser...047&mode=2
Their separate on everything.
I know when I was getting my Wyoming Elk tags, They are separate as well.
My feeling is enjoy it while we can, cause sooner or later... it will change.

1 antlered deer per season up there.  Plus they have antler restrictions.  That comes with the license. 
I forget how many turkey tags you get with your license, thinking it might be 1.
Bear is separate up there like you said
antlerless tags have to be purchased 1 at a time depending on what part of the state you hunt and they are only good for the area you applied in and got a tag for.

No dogs allowed for hunting deer or bear.  Their season is also much shorter in most of the state. 
Founder: Make it Rain

If it is in season I will hunt it.
Thanks given by:
I think Deadeye's suggestion was spot on. My guess is that opportunist bear shots are not really doing much to the bear population. I have no desire to shoot a bear unless I see one like the 650 pounder shot across the road. But I would not buy the tag for that unlikely occurrence. Have had the opportunity but passed it up.
Thanks given by: